Computer Lag With Addition of New Fan

• Mr OBrien
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: down a creek without a paddle

Post 3+ Months Ago

My computer is a Hp pavilion with a Intel Pentium Dual Core processor and a Benicia-gl8e motherboard. I recently added a new fan and cleared the heatsynk of dust and airflow obstructions because of very noticeable processor temperature increase during normal operation. It has shown a extreme gain in speed and a drop in temp back to normal but i think the addition of the new fan is causing a problem. Ive notice some choppy program lag from time to time and would like to know if there is a way to resolve this problem without the removal of the newly installed fan.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Was the processor moved/touched at all? Did you blow compressed air into the machine?
  • Mr OBrien
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

No I did not blow compressed air into the machine and i only remove the fan from the top of the heatsynk and cleaned it by pulling out the dust witch came out in strands and then replacing the fan. It seems fine now though maybe it had to warm up??
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know about "warm up". That's something we had to do in the 50s and early 60s, when TVs had vacuum tubes. Printed circuit boards don't have to "warm up".
  • Mr OBrien
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well its been sitting turned off for a week. Could the electro magnetism from the new fan be affecting the computers processing capability's and be causing slight variations in the amount of power going to the processor. I'm very familiar with the insides of a computer tower but have never researched how sensitive they are to things like that.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts