Computer Lock Up: Hard Drive Issue

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I cannot figure this one out. About 3 days ago I did a format and re-installed my software onto a new Seagate drive. I kept my old secondary drive as my secondary drive.

I am having a problem with the entire computer locking up and not letting me do ANYTHING! Not even move the mouse. There are no error messages, and windows (xp) boots normal as if nothing had happened.

When my computer starts back up, my secondary drive has gone missing. I shutdown, check the IDE cables and power cords, and all seems to be well. So I fire it up again and there is my secondary drive again.

This keeps on happening. I switched to a BRAND NEW IDE cable and it still happens. I think the computer is freezing because it is losing contact with the secondary drive, but I don't know why.

Anybody have any ideas?

Further Detail:
I just upgraded the BIOS to make sure it wasn't that.
BIOS doesn't detect the drive after crash either.
Sometimes drive makes a funny noise (rattling) before crash.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does it crash when you dont bother to connect the second drive at all ?
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I take it the jumpers are set correctly ?

Have you tried booting from the 'Second' drive on its own and seeing what happens?
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

It might be IDE connector on ur mobo. Anyway I think the problem is with ur mobo or hardware compatibility.

EDIT: It seems as your secondary drive keeps connecting and disconnecting during operating time, that's why it freezes.
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

He says that his drive makes a wierd rattling sound just before crashing. I think you should try hooking up the secondary drive to another computer and seeing if it works. If it's making a rattling noise it might just be shot.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok. It isn't a compatibility issue at all. I thought I made it clear but obviously not-- I have been using the secondary drive for quite some time now, perhaps 6 months. The only thing that has changed is a new primary hard drive and a new CD-RW drive.

The same thing was happening when the CD-RW drive was installed and the computer was using it, so I replaced the IDE cable and it worked fine. Now I am having the problem with the HDD.

Yes the jumpers are set correctly to Master and Slave, no cable select.

I can't boot from the second drive, it doesn't have an OS!

Update on the problem: My computer has lasted a good 14 hours now with no crash, and I didn't change anything except the screws holding the drive in the case (the old ones kept rattling cause they were too small).

You guys think it could be a short in the IDE?

Thanks for your help everyone!
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't that screws has something to do with that, I never use them...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It could very well have been that you didn't have it screwed in tight enough. If it's "shaking" / "rattling" it may not be able to read the tracks properly, hence errors.

That's one reason why it is suggested not to mount a previously vertically mounted drive horizontally. Gravity pulls the heads and over time, and it may not read the recorded info properly if mounted in the opposite direction because the date is not found where it is expected to be. There's a technical term for this but it escapes me at the moment.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is funny ATNO, cause my computer is working better laying on its side right now! I am scared it will crash again if I stand it up.....here goes though!

\\EDIT: I made it! The drive made a few noises of unhappiness though!

\\EDIT: It is making all kinds of funny noises now! Sound like a power saw, but quieter. Uh-Oh!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think maybe you might just need to get the right size screws. I know one thing that gets frustrating is that it is often times easy to screw in the side of the drive that is on the "open" side of the case, but then you never screw in the backside, because you can't figure out how to get to it. (I wish manufacturers would design cases with the same configuration. Sometimes you have to take the other side panel off and work through tiny holes to get the screw in. Personally, I love the new Gateways. No screws. Just a plastic locking lever and the drive slides in and out and locks in.

Anyway, you need to get both sides screwed in and lock it down so it quits vibrating.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did screw it in tight. It still is still crashing though. I ordered a new HDD, 200GB Seagate 7600RPM with a 5 year warranty. :)

Thanks for the help everyone!

PS; As much as I hate them, Dell's have the slide in HDD things too. Well, at least the precision workstations. I don't know about any others.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am still having the issue! I think it is heat related though.....any ideas on cooling my system? I think it is mostly the hard-drives.
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not so long ago my friend had similar problem. His system was constantly freezing. In addition his DDR's were burning up. The problem was in power supply, and I don't if it is relevant to your situation.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got it fixed finally! It was the new hard drive. It seemed like it was getting slower and with the problem and all I thought it could be the read heads on the hard drive. I exchanged the drive and had the old one cloned onto the new one. It is working smooth again!

Hope this saves someone else out there having the same issue!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts