Computer - Motherboard gone bad?

• Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, my friend gave me a computer to fix. At first the power supply was making a clicking noise, so I got a new one and plugged that in. The clicking is gone now, but the computer still won't turn on.

When I press the power button it works for less than a second and then stops, the processor fan and the powr supply fan both stop. I've switched out the processor and it's not that, and I'm pretty sure it's not the ram.

Other than it being a motherboard problem I can't think of anything else. He never told me how it was broken, but the system looks pretty new so I"m guessing a power surge killed the motherboard and the power supply.

Anyone have any other ideas?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should be getting beeps or tones when the computer first turns on. By the sound of it, you are probably correct, it's probably your MOBO or CPU. I just diagnosed a similar problem at work today.

If you don't know the bios manufacturer, the exact Brand/model of the computer should help identify the beep codes. If it is only working for a second and doesn't give any beeps, then it may only be the power supply.

In my case, the computer was on long enough to beep and then nothing. Same scenario. Power supply fan and CPU fan wasn't running, but the error beeps said it was the MOBO
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

usually if it turns itself off that means the processor is getting to hot and it's turning itself off to prevent killing the processor. Only other thing that would make it turn off is if there is a electrical short somewhere, try disconnecting the power from everything but the mobo connector and then turn it on and see what happens if it stays on and boots up properly then plug one device back in at a time till it plays up again then you know somethings wrong with that device.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

The1 wrote:
usually if it turns itself off that means the processor is getting to hot.

Yes check the cooling cos motherboards are very well made and only really fail if a capacitor blows and you can see them blown. It still could be that you have another duff PSU as well... try plugging in the PSU from your own PC or buy a spare cheap one.
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

It shouldn't be the processor since it never gets time to even heat up, I've switched the processor but that didn't have any affect.

It's a mATX formfactor and I don't have any other spare PSU's. The new one I got should work, but when I find the time I'll see if I can put the one out of my other comp.

Anyways thanks for the help.
  • micky123
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Xel02

What you could possibly check here is whether the flea power light on the Mobo turns on, that is the best way to tell, if the light glows then it is the mobo that is faulty, if it does not then it could possibly the power supply again.

Just asking out of curiosity: Since it has an ATX casing, have you shorted the PWR connector with the jumper supplied in the cabinet?
Just checking coz i had a horrid time with a similar problem once, when i just started out, the system used to just behave the same way, and , the fool that i was, did not realise that i wasnt shorting the PWR connector on the motherboard!!!

Hope this helps!!!
  • sdurst1
  • Born
  • Born
  • sdurst1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am getting a simular problem with my dell 8600. the power supply fan is sounding abnormally sluggish and the computer wont seem to leave a state of hibernation when turned on. When i start it up i get a series of beeps that seem to be the following 1 Long, 3 Short, 2 Short. Anyone have any suggestions. Maybe the power outages ruined my power supply or mother board? My only concern toward that theory is that my cpu is connected to a surge protector. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan
  • sdurst1
  • Born
  • Born
  • sdurst1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, this is an update, I opened my cpu and the fan that was making the noise and being sluggish was my 256mb ATI Readon Vid Card. Any chance this could be the problem?
  • sdurst1
  • Born
  • Born
  • sdurst1

Post 3+ Months Ago

bump

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts