Computer not detecting Monitor?

• Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Saint Joseph, MO

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, I opened the casing of my computer to install a second chip of ram. I was running on 128 and I put in a second 128. I also installed a DVD Rom Drive in the Second CD Bay. when I closed the computer up I turned it on and it didnt detect the monitor. it would just be a black screen and then my monitor would go idle. I took the extra ram and the DVD Rom drive out and it still gave me a black screen. I know its not the monitor because I hooked it up to my second PC and it worked just fine. does anyone know what could have gone wrong?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm guessing you may have changed something with the IDE cables when you installed the ROM drive. Double check your cable connections to the harddrive and motherboard and make sure they are completely inserted and in the original configuration.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm....
did you move the graphics card?
or make it come loose?

you could have got some static from your hands and onto the grapihcs (theory only lol) and done something to it, if the monitor works else where, it is the grapihcs, or the motherboard.

try resetting the bios too
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would think that the Graphics card got bumped a little out of its slot. Or it got fried by you not being properly grounded (I'm afraid that this has happened to me. A very frustrating event........ but I sure learned my lesson ;))
It may also be the motherboard, but Im more inclined to believe its a problem with the card itself.
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Failing all the above reseat *everything* :lol:

You can also try a bare-bones boot. That is to remove everything not essential to seeing the BIOS screen. Removed all cards exept video. Remove the floppy drive & the CD-ROM and all extra devices (USB ect).

Give the case a shake to make sure nothing metal got dropped in there!

S
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you make sure it was plugged in ?

if you have onboard vidoe this happened to me once with a computer . make sure the socket on the mother baord isnt broken, twisted, dirty etc.

if its in prestine working order and all the above failed, try a vid card from another computer to see if tis your current vid card. if your running on baord video try using a pci card as your primary graphics see if that works.
  • jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Might seem stupid but obviously check if the cards in correctly, next try the card in a second machine if possible, then check the card for any obvious damage burn marks etc.. and if after that you've had no sucess try another grpahics cards in your machine it should get you to the root of the problem even if you would prefer not to know what that is!
  • cradle
  • cradle
  • Loc: Kenya

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried using another monitor on your pc and did it function if not

i need to know whether your video graphic is onboard or not. if its on board then there is a problem with your motherboard if it isn't onboard then check if the card is fixed properly

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts