Computer only starts when I entered the BIOS first!

• Acerke
  • Acerke

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys 'n girls

It seems I'm stuck with a pretty weird problem.

A friend of mine got trouble booting his pc.
Whenever he tried to start it, it gave an error: CPU has changed...
I checked the CMOS battery and it was empty.
Replacing the battery solved the error message.

But now the computer still hangs during boot, mostly when the Windows XP logo fades in. Sometimes also just when I'm in Windows, doing nothing.

When I start the pc, I cannot get it to load Windows at all:
the ONLY way to make it happen is to enter the BIOS, leave it open for a few minutes and then exiting the BIOS (without changing anything).
Then the pc boots like charm. (but as I mentioned, sometimes it hangs when Windows is loaded for some time)

I already re-installed Windows XP, I changed Hard Disk, disconnected the CD-rom drives adn PCI-cards, ... Nothing helps.

The computer has worked perfectly for years.
I'm thinking maybe the BIOS is infected with some virus, but I'm not sure that's even possible.
Maybe the processor or motherboard is just malfunctioning?

I hope someone has a clue what's happening here...

If you need more information, please ask me :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Has the CPU be upgraded recently, how long has it been without a CMOS battery ?
  • Acerke
  • Acerke

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nothing has been upgraded recently.

I guess the battery was running on emtpy for several days...
But I replaced the battery the same day that the pc wouldn't boot at my friends place.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried clearing the bios since then?
  • Acerke
  • Acerke

Post 3+ Months Ago

No I haven't cleared the bios yet...

Today I got a blue screen during boot, sayinh:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Perhaps the RAM-memory is bad...

I'll try to replace the memory module.

Ivan
  • Acerke
  • Acerke

Post 3+ Months Ago

Changed the memory module...
No change :(

Does anyone have any ideas what else it could be?

Ivan
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I may just be a bad motherboard.. :(
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like it's a bad motherboard but before you replace it did you going into the BIOS and reset the settings to factory defaults?

The factory defaults are usually fail safes, however the fact that your basically letting it sit in the BIOS before you restart...that's just weird.

What happens exactly when you try to load Windows without entering the BIOS?
  • Acerke
  • Acerke

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I start the pc without going into the BIOS, the pc hangs when the Windows XP logo is faded in during startup.

When you hit the reset button then, the pc doesn't start at all and sounds an alarm.

It is really weird.

I replaced the motherboard and the problem is solved now...
Too bad I couldn't fix the problem, it makes me kinda curious ;-)

Ivan
  • WaxMelts
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • WaxMelts

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure, but i think that ive got the problem that you had.

If i try to start up my pc, it will sometimes just beep and not load at all. Or it will get to the XP Pro blue loading bar and then just fade out and not load.

Currently ive been putting this down to my graphics card.

I do however, have more success booting the pc from the BIOS or by going into safe mode.

Im stuck.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

WaxMelts wrote:

If i try to start up my pc, it will sometimes just beep and not load at all. Or it will get to the XP Pro blue loading bar and then just fade out and not load.

I do however, have more success booting the pc from the BIOS or by going into safe mode.

Im stuck.

What make is your BIOS and how many beeps do you receive ?
  • WaxMelts
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • WaxMelts

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enigma wrote:
WaxMelts wrote:

Im stuck.

What make is your BIOS and how many beeps do you receive ?

*scratches head*

I know that the motherboard is a KT3 Ultra2 MSI, er thing. Thats all the information i have on the motherboard, i dont entirely know what the BIOS is aside from it being the ugly screen with many options.

As for the beeps, i would be recieving say 4 horrible beeps.

However now, the PC turns on and either plays 1 long beep and shows nothing on screen, or it makes no beeps but still shows nothing on screen.

I really need to seek out some proffesional assistance in real life, as i think the best way forward would be to test out each piece of kit in a different system to find out what needs replacing. As i was sure it was the video card (because the monitor plugs into the back of the video card, so i figured the video card was dying and couldnt display anything anymore) But now it looks like it could be the motherboard. Agh.

I shall have to look around Leicester for some help, i know of one shop that i could try i think.

I knew i should have bought a Packard Bell :lol:
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

The BIOS is your Basic Input/Output System and is responsible for loading your O/S related files after the POST [ Power On Selft Test ] has completed, thats the screen at the begining that identifys your drives.

As for your BIOS, after searching the MSI website I found out yours is made by AMI [ American Megatrends Inc ].

I then found a link for what the BIOS beeps mean for you :

http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

Hopefully that will be of help to you.
  • WaxMelts
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • WaxMelts

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahha, thank you ever so much.

Well, i've just ran my pc around 10 times and my results are:

1 time i managed to get into safe mode and the system loaded, i went into the control panel, before it even came up, everything went dark and boom, dead.

A couple of times, no beeps, the POST happened but past that, nothing, everything goes to black and has to be restarted.

Around twice, i got "9 short" beeps which is a "ROM CHECKSUM ERROR" and means "The contents of the BIOS ROM does not match the expected checksum value. The BIOS ROM is probably deffective and should be replaced" = I have no idea what that means, at all.

Around twice again, i got "10 short" beeps which is a "CMOS shutdown register read/write error" and means "the shutdown for the CMOS has failed = Again, i have no idea what that means, at all.

Then the rest of the start ups were either 1 short beepers which is a "DRAM REFRESH FAILURE" which means "The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed" = Am i just thick? I have no idea what that means either :oops:

OR something else, i know there was 1 more that i got. I will try again at a later date.

---

Can you make any sense of this feedback?

Does this sound like purely a motherboard problem? Or can it be more than that?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your BIOS is battered then not alot is going to happen.

You can get your BIOS replaced, how much that would cost I do not know, probably depends on the age of the mobo and other factors.

Quote:
Around twice, i got "9 short" beeps which is a "ROM CHECKSUM ERROR" and means "The contents of the BIOS ROM does not match the expected checksum value. The BIOS ROM is probably deffective and should be replaced" = I have no idea what that means, at all.

Means your BIOS is dead, kicked the bucket, pushing up the daisys ....

As I said, it may just be your BIOS failure that is causing the other problems so I would look into how much it costs to replace your BIOS compared to a new mobo then see which is more cost effective.
  • WaxMelts
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • WaxMelts

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah-ha.

"Means your BIOS is dead, kicked the bucket, pushing up the daisys"

Is what i understand.

Well, i have been on ebuyer and powerc.com all day looking at some possibilities. I have never put a motherboard into a tower before and to be honest, it looks hella complicated. HDD's, Video cards and RAM i can handle mind. So im looking at barebone systems.

I found an OK sounding barebones system for £65. Then with a new processor i was looking at for around £50. I could then (in my head at least?) whack in my HDD, RAM and Video card.

It seems like an easier plan to just shell out cash for a new system and start again than try and fix the old chap, he had a good / ok innings.

Cheers for the help, much appreciated!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Replacing a mother board is actually easier than it looks. As long as you know what type of slot you video card is (AGP, PCI, PCI-e), what type of hard drive interface your HDD have (EIDE, SATA, SCSI), what processor you are running and the type of RAM you have, you should be fine. All this is simple enough to look up through google or the manufatcurers website of the components or who built the PC. We are also here to help.
  • WaxMelts
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • WaxMelts

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, well im going to take some time to think about whether to go balls out for a new system or just replace the mobo.

In the mean time, i found a motherboard + processor + 256mb RAM bundle here:

http://www.powerc.com/cgi-bin/psearch.cgi?code=B-K7S-26&rn=417&aid=&uid=ssrGA8YIiuXX.bg&sid=&cid=1&act=gpage

Would i be able to install that motherboard etc into this tower:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=7860015150&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=59321

Im not phased by the blue lights and crap, it was just an affordable tower that comes with a PSU, so if the motherboard bundle above is compatible, that would be swell.

If it isn't (Sorry for asking so much of you chaps) Could you provide me with links to another solution?

As for replacing the motherboard, i know that my video card is in the AGP slot, that the HDD is ide, the RAM is 256mb of PC2100 at 266mhz at a guess and im pretty sure the processor is an AMD athlon XP2000+.

Im leaning towards the new system really, i can then salvage the processor from current system to put into this PC to make it a little bit faster. As its running on a less than 1.0ghz processor. Quite slow.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, those components would fit inside that tower.
  • WaxMelts
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • WaxMelts

Post 3+ Months Ago

Super :)

Although the amount of blue illuminating from that tower is abit overpowering.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

WaxMelts wrote:
Super :)

Although the amount of blue illuminating from that tower is abit overpowering.

A bit of wire cutting would solve that :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts