Computer Problems - not powering up

• Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a intel 2.4 processor with an MSI mobo. A few days ago my apt got struck by lightning, but i had a surge protector. The next day the computer powered up fine and was working. The day after that, it wouldn't turn on anymore. I'm not sure what the problem is...

I switched out the power source and on the "new" power source the green light says the power is going through it, but nothing else is powering up, not even the cpu fan. The computer still does not power up. So i'm not quite sure what the problem is...could it be the motherboard is fried?

I need a second opinion before i go out and buy a new board and switch out the parts.

Thanks
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you check all of the wires?

it could just be a cowinsadence that a cable could have come out of place?
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a client bring one in and they had a surge protector and lightening went through the cable broadband connection to the computer, board was ok .....ram was fried and so was the cpu, I would suggest taking out the board out of the case and try booting it outside of the case with nothing else besides the video card and mouse/keyboard and psu connected, if still no go then I would ask someone if you know anyone , that has a system with the same or close to the same chip to let you swap them out to see if it is the motherboard, if not then your playing roulette with either the board or the cpu that was damaged.

WC

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts