computer problems...

• kvitske
  • kvitske

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi!
I've got a little problem on my Windows. It's running on a 400 Mhz processor (I know it's not very much, but I don't need more), with a 8 Gb Harddisk and 320 Mb RAM. It's running Windows 98.
I only got the computer a few months ago (I think in february), and I formatted the Harddisk, and installed Windows XP Professional.
In June, everything started...
Suddenly (I came home after a week of beeing somewhere else), my sister told me the computer wouldn't start up anymore. I tried it, an she was right. It started, counting the RAM, and when it started booting Windows XP, it stopped. There was really nothing anymore left, and I heard the processor ventilator slowing down, because the computer shut down. Then I installes Windows 98 on it, and installed XP immediatly after 98 was installed. Now, the computer booted, but shutt down regulary. I reformatted the drive, and installed 98 again, and it worked, but it sometimes shuts down again. I found 98 wasn't such a nice operating system, so I got Windows 2000. I was just installing it (I think 1, maybe 2 hours ago), and it shut down again! Now I've got 1/2 OS on my Hard disk, and I don't feel like installing Windows all over again, because I know the computer is going to shut down reguraly.

Is there anyone who can help? I would really appreciate it very much.

Thanx,
Kvitske
(I'm really sorry if you don't fully understand it, but I don't speak English that well.)(I edited the post, and made some grammar corrections)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahh your english seems perfect to me!

anyway, did you check all of your parts, something could have shorted out or fried?
  • kvitske
  • kvitske

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, no, everything seems ok to me.
  • kvitske
  • kvitske

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, I installed Windows 2000, and when I start my computer now, he shuts automaticly down after, I think, 5 seconds (could be 7 or 6).
Now I really don't know what to do...
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe you have some cooling problems. Have you checked if your processor fan is working?
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

when you boot up, go to bios, check your temps, and also see if it shuts down it bios. maybe hard drive problem?
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

labrego wrote:
Maybe you have some cooling problems. Have you checked if your processor fan is working?

If his CPU fan waz in the crapz,... then he would not have been able to install windows XP or 98.
  • kvitske
  • kvitske

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, the temperature goes from 27°C to 37°C. I don't think that is too much.
When I start the computer up, I can choose: Windows 2000 or 98. I tried 98 once, and that worked fine. When I start 2000, it gives a black screen saying it's starting up, and then a window with the w2000 logo, saying it's starting up, and then it's over.
The safe mode, however works mostly fine.

edit: it just started Windows 2000 up fine, but it did shut down after , I think 45 minutes. If I start it now, it goes fine, but when it starts checking the C-drive (or even if I cancel that), it shuts down.

edit2: it started up two times, but the second time I had to install hardware, and the computer had to restart.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol :lol: New computer?
  • kvitske
  • kvitske

Post 3+ Months Ago

EliteHunter wrote:
lol :lol: New computer?

No, I think from 1998/1999.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

holy crap! :shock: you need a new comp, man.
  • placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Warsaw, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you read the initial post? It's a 400MHz processor. And anyway it could get through an install if the fan is spotty.

Hmmm, running between 80F to 100F... Seems a little hot to me for a 400MHz system. I'd take the cover off, start it up, and watch the CPU fan for a bit. Make sure it doesn't kick off or slow down. Double check that your heat sink is fastened securely. Get some canned air and clean out the fan and heat sink, and make sure your cables don't block air flow.

As for the OS choices, Windows XP wouldn't have run right on that machine anyway :)
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

CPU fan is going or faulty, the system is shutting down to prevent it from a melt down. I would suggest going to your local computer store and seeing if you can get a replacement fan for the heatsink.

WC
  • placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Warsaw, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sometimes on older systems it's just a gunky fan. Cleaning it might help. Anyway, some preliminary diagnostics before purchasing new hardware is always a good idea. It may not even be the fan, that's just speculation without having it on a bench locally. I just think it's most likely.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i think he just needs a new fan. im guessing....a 400MHZ if it waz and amd CPU it would be socket 7.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

labrego wrote:

:scratchhead: mmm
  • kvitske
  • kvitske

Post 3+ Months Ago

EliteHunter wrote:
well i think he just needs a new fan. im guessing....a 400MHZ if it waz and amd CPU it would be socket 7.

Well, indeed, AMD, socket 7.

I want to thank you all for helping me. I solved it, and I'll post the solution later, because I'm running out of time right now.
But, anyway, really thanks a lot for the help. (If it would happen again, I'll post it here again)

Kvitske

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts