Computer Questions

• ItalianKid
  • ItalianKid

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,

Well I'm going to be buying a new computer and I have a few questions.

1)Which mobo should I get?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813136161
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813130468

2)Which core would be best for an AMD 64 +3000 939?
(Newegg only has Venice)

3)For whatever mobo you said was best should I juse use onboard sound or buy a sennheiser headset with a usb soundcard?

4) Should I keep the psu in this case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811156141) or should i replace it with this powersupply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153006

Thanks for all the feedback :lol:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha joe -- Look who desided to join the party :) welcome to OZZU.

1) these mobo's are the same speeds. - your prefrence to what you want more.

2) idk

3) do you want better sound? test the soundcard after you get the mobo, i will let you borrow my headset. if you think you can do better, get sennheisers. we will compare the sound to mine.

4) Will you be using SATA - the second PSU supports it, the first does not.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) The DFI got better reviews overall [ just marginaly though ] and is also has better OverClocking facilities if you ever decide to do that.

Still with Mobo's, take a look at the Asus A8V-SLI Deluxe. It's a bit more pricey but is one hell of a board and the best avaliable at the moment for skt939.

2) Venice and San Diego are both decent cores, either will do.

3) My personal opion ... NEVER use onboard anything !! Even if you only spend $50 on a sound card & speakers, its better than onboard.

4) I buy cases without PSU's mainly because the ones supplied suck. Check out this PSU Calculator for the minimum PSU requirement for your system.

Even if you don't use that Calculator, its always a good idea to replace the PSU that is supplied with a case.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

the psu calculator is outdated, we cant use that anymore
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. I have tested both the Via and Nforce motherboards, for the 64 bit platform, both were fast no coubt, but the Via was more stable, less glitches. As suggested I would look torwards the A8V series, currently running it and havent had a lick of trouble, outside of what I messed up by fiddling with stuff...lol.

2. Either will do.

3. The onboard is not bad actually with this board A8V, but I would suggest a pci sound card Audigy 2.

4. No I would recommend not using the psu included in the case and would actually tell you that 420 wt psu , may not even be enough, pending on how many things you are putting into the system I would suggest either 450wt or higher that way there is no power issues.

WC

ItalianKid wrote:
Hey all,

Well I'm going to be buying a new computer and I have a few questions.

1)Which mobo should I get?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813136161
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813130468

2)Which core would be best for an AMD 64 +3000 939?
(Newegg only has Venice)

3)For whatever mobo you said was best should I juse use onboard sound or buy a sennheiser headset with a usb soundcard?

4) Should I keep the psu in this case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811156141) or should i replace it with this powersupply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153006

Thanks for all the feedback :lol:
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Psu has no bearing with sata drives, all the sata drives have regular power connections just like a cd-rom etc. 8)

WC

blink182av wrote:
haha joe -- Look who desided to join the party :) welcome to OZZU.

1) these mobo's are the same speeds. - your prefrence to what you want more.

2) idk

3) do you want better sound? test the soundcard after you get the mobo, i will let you borrow my headset. if you think you can do better, get sennheisers. we will compare the sound to mine.

4) Will you be using SATA - the second PSU supports it, the first does not.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not outdated supports all the latest hardware, scroll buttons(hint) 8)

WC

4ss_munk3y wrote:
the psu calculator is outdated, we cant use that anymore
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

i did, last time i checked it didnt even support a 6800, but k :)
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Guess they dont consider Nvidia a contender...lol... :shock:

WC
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

4ss_munk3y wrote:

Just checked myself and right at the bottom I found a GeForce 6800 Ultra ... not in PCI-E, but at least its there ;)
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

DOH :shock:

WC

Enigmatic wrote:
4ss_munk3y wrote:

Just checked myself and right at the bottom I found a GeForce 6800 Ultra ... not in PCI-E, but at least its there ;)
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

nVidia is definately a contender.

For anything under a 3700+ get a Venice. For 3700+ and over get the San Diego.

I only use Antec cases that come wiht Power Supplies. The rest I buy without a Power Supply and then get an Antec or Thermaltake PSU.

Nowadays with PCI-E, SATA, and the hardcore procs and cooling solutions, your best bet is to get at least 500w. If you go hardcore, look at 600W+.

They also have the A8N-SLI Premium which is better than the deluxe now. Actually it fixes a lot of design flaws from the deluxe.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMO opinion I would stay away from the Nvidia chipset, I mod a tech forum and there have been nothing but complaints about the same ole quirks the older versions had(nforce2 etc.) seems the more stable is the Via, regardless of the manufacturer, so if you don't mind the trial and error and the guessing game as to what is supposed to work as to what will work, then have at it. this is just an opinion, nothing more based on what I have tested for myself and what has been written about the NForce3/4 chipset and the Via. Some folks have had no issues, this is a rarity others have had nothing but problem after problem....

WC 8)
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find that moreso with ATI than nVidia. I haven't had a problem that I couldn't fix with the nVidia chipsets. The VIA's work great, and run well. But they don't have the features and the speed the nForce chipsets have.

Besides, SLI 'nuff said.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess that would depend on what features your referring to, agp/pci locks are on the Via chipset, PCI express is on the KT890 http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=868, only thing not comparable would be the intergrated hardware firewall now implemented on the NForce. Another link: http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chips ... x-express/

WC
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
DualGFX enables you to use two PCI Express graphics cards in one PC, although VIA claims that its implementation is technically capable of supporting SLI, it unfortunately doesn’t work at this time. The reasons for this aren’t fully clear at the moment, but it’s possible that nVidia has ensured that for now at least, SLI will only work on one of its own nForce4 SLI boards.

I read that as: We have our own Dual Graphics aperature even though we have no clue how to make graphics cards. Sure it will work with SLI cards, when we figure a way to hack into the proprietary standards.

nVidia should be paying me.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well on the other spectrum, I had severe issues with the NForce and the ATI cards on an NForce board, due to a knackered agp slot voltage issue, tested this between the 2 venders ATI and NVidia, Its all to make folks use THEIR products in the end, till they get caught doing so then they claim ....we didnt know.

WC
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

That would be more of the board manufacturer. I only use Asus board. They have their problems, nothing I can't handle.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah you can say that again @ asus having their issues....lol.....they havent released a good bios update in quite a while now, for both Nvidia chipset and Via, they are mucking up big time. Brick NJ eh....Im up the parkway a bit ...but still close by.....lol

WC
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hallelujah Brother! You can say that again. And the newest version of Asus live update or whatever it is kept messing the bios images up. I end up calling the tech support in Germany because the US one is either always busy or always closed.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's something I poked around and found out about their bios through some testing:

With all the problems with the Asus programs not installing and such I descided to do alil research and here is what I have found.
The problem is resulting at least on my AMI bios from the version being wrong on the string in the bios itself seems when cpu-z says my motherboard is a rev 1 board, but my board IS a rev 2 board, this is why Asus is not implementing the correct smbios strings for the rev of the boards as shown below.

AMIBIOS Motherboard Manufacturer Identification
Version 1.4 (01/12/2004) Copyright 2003 American Megatrends, Inc.

This file has recorded information useful in identifying the manufacturer
of this motherboard. The information is listed below:

An AMIBIOS ID String Was Detected:
63-1401-000001-00101111-060205-ATHLON64
- ---- ------ ------
| | | |
| | | Chipset/BIOS Info
| | BIOS Build Date
| Manufacturer ID
BIOS ROM Information
AMIBIOS ROM Size: 512 KB
BIOS Build Date: Jun 02 2005
Motherboard Manufacturer Code: 0001 Not listed in MAN.DAT file

AMIBIOS Build Tag: A0036001
AMIBIOS Project ID: A0036001 Not listed in TAG.DAT file

For more information on upgrading your BIOS go to http://www.ami.com/support/bios.cfm?refer=mbid

GT500Shlby wrote:
Hallelujah Brother! You can say that again. And the newest version of Asus live update or whatever it is kept messing the bios images up. I end up calling the tech support in Germany because the US one is either always busy or always closed.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

My A7V600 board had a problem with the bios and some phantom ethernet hardware showing up in device manager and no drivers from Asus would work. I upgraded the BIOS using the lasus update program and it updatd itself first and then starting saying it couldn't verify the written bios. So I uninstalled the updater and reinstalled it from the CD and then tried to update the bios and it worked. I'm using a beta bios because the latest statble kept posting "A Hardware Error Occured".
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even with all that has been said here, I am personally still drawn towards the nForce4 chipset on either the DFI LanParty [ due to massive overClocking potential ] and the new Asustek A8V-SLI Premium [ the A8V-SLI is a great board, and the Premium version is supposed to be even better with glitch fixes from the deluxe ].

Its just the functionality of the boards that draws me in, if a VIA chipset board can be supplied that has near same functionality I would look into it.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The A8N-SLI Premium is a great board. The PCI-E x1 & x4 ports are still between the video cards, but I still haven't found anything that works with them anyway.

That and the board has Optical S/PDIF output
2x gigabit lan w/ hardware firewall
SLI
4x Sata150 + 4x Sata300
and the premium really fixed that southbridge problem with the heatpipe.

P.S.: I work in Rahway, and I know a GREAT car wash in Bloomfield.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL theres a couple....one is right off the parkway and the other is off Broad street :P :P

WC

GT500Shlby wrote:
P.S.: I work in Rahway, and I know a GREAT car wash in Bloomfield.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check your pm's GT.

WC
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know the owners of 2 of them. I designed a few car wash controllers in my day. I get free details all the time.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

My DFI SLI-DR has just got my old 3000+ Winchester to a FSB of 320Mhz, which equates too 2880Mhz. This was done with a good olde heatsink :P and allot of cold air. I havnt tried benching it yet, i havnt even tried making it stable yet. Ive got it to be able to boot into windows which is step 1 of... god knows... All in all, get the SLI - D or DRs they are amazing boards that dont dissapoint. They just need a bit of knowledge and patience to get working well.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts