computer restarts during ffxi

• tapztirb19
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tapztirb19

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I have been having a problem with this one game ffxi. First off all just a little description of my case... its messed up. It doesnt cool it well enough to keep it on during anything that is graphic intensive. I had a geforce 4 ti 4200 in the machine before and it would keep restarting a few minutes into the game. the fan was broken on it so i just figured hey it was that and it probaly was. but i bought a brand new one of the same model and tried to play the game but it is turning off the computer or restarting just like the old one was. Before i go buy a new case for better circulation i want to rule out ...could it be the cpu that is restarting it or is it the graphics card. I would like some general recommendations on how to go about this. I took the side off my case figuring the heat would get out that way but that hasnt helped

thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

whats the temputure of the pc . you can get programs that run in windws (easy tune) or you can look in the bios. are you overclocking at all?
  • tapztirb19
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tapztirb19

Post 3+ Months Ago

that application is for gigabyte motherboards, i dont know the temperature and i am doing no overclocking. also how am i to tell what the temperature is when its about to restart? and how will i differentiate if it is the video card or the cpu
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is kind of....not a technical soluton at all, but I had the same problem once. My case was so small it was not allowing enough circulation for my video card. I just took the side off and set a small box fan there on high. It was a cheap solution and I played with headphones on until I got a better case. :)

Trying this might at least narrow down your problem.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do you come to the conclusion that it's a heat issue ,
and not a driver, or IRQ ,or hardware issue ?
9 times out of 10 ,if you can look in there and see the fan
spining on that video card ? then your problems are else were.
I've had 2 Ti-4200 in the distant past and they always performed
as long as there little (lol) fan was a spining.

You could very well have driver problems..just my .02
  • tapztirb19
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tapztirb19

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well im trying to say im not sure if its the video card or the cpu, but im almost positive its a heat issue, I dont see what other kind of issue it could be. The last ti4200's fan was broke and it overheated thne i put a custome heat sink on...it stayed on a littlee bit longer then shutoff

so i was seeing a pattern with heat....

if i had the side of my case off....and the fan was spinning on the video card would the video card overheat without internal case circulation?

but then it may of been the cpu who knows im just trying to narrow it down....

and to make things clear this happened and i formatted my computer and put everything on new reinstalled the drivers from the cd and it still happened sooo i dont know if that rules ne thing out but who knows

im 99% sure its heat tho, my room is pretty hot i think..its upstairs and i fried a motherboard due to heat...i run an airconditioner sometimes but i don't know ...thanks for all ur opinions guys
  • tapztirb19
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tapztirb19

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive been testing and i may be wrong aobut the heat haha

if someone could help me with the irq if that is it ...that would be great

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 5 NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 10 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device OK
IRQ 11 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
IRQ 11 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
IRQ 11 SiS 7012 Audio Driver OK
IRQ 11 SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter OK
IRQ 11 HSP56 Micromodem OK
IRQ 12 Microsoft PS/2 Mouse OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

that says everything is OK lol

try downloading latest drivers and latest direct x

i tried to play a dx9 game with only dx8 installed and my comp reset ;)

but if it really is heat then some more case fans or a new case should do the trick, the stock heat sink and fan for vid cards and cpu's are supposed to cool the appliance appropriately, so it could be curculation. do as MOC says, stick a desk fan in there with the case side off, i tried it a while back to get a better OC on my vid card and it was able to go a few more mhz :P
  • Efan
  • Loc: New Zealand

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, Im all new to the forums and all.

But Iv just read this thread and I'm having simular problems.

At first my computer will shutdown FFXI & POL right , but when I reboot pol and start playing again , Instead of closing FFXI & POL is restarts my computer.

Would these be a game or system fault or a over heating problem. This is only been happening since I put the side pannel back on my case. :?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This may provide some insight...I don't know:
http://geek.com/sysup/sysup022000/upques193.htm

When I looked at this post at a glance and saw that IRQ 11 was overly crowded, my first thought was "what's up with that?"
  • Efan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im a seriously a noob at computers as in only 15 and just learning about computers , I know a fair bit about computers so I can understand pritty well. So how do I access IRQ settings?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's OK...I'm 45 and only been playing with this stuff myself for about a year or so. I suppose the first question would be what Operating system you are using?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before you installed the new card, did you bother to uninstall ALL related drivers for the old card ?

I know this seems a silly suggestion seeing as the cards are the same, but you would be surprised what problems can arise.
  • Efan

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW My operating system is Windows Xp.
I have a pretty much fresh install of windows aswell as I re-installed windows about 2 weeks ago.
But I still think heat is part of the issue.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That could be part of it. Did you do a clean install where you reformatted? Or did you do a repair install?

Are you certain that you loaded all of the latest drivers for all of your devices? Oh, and what service pack are you currnetly on, SP1 or SP2
  • Efan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just re-installed right over my old copy of windows. Iv installed all driver devices and. And I havnt installed SP1 or SP2 , but I heard that there was problems with FFXI conflicting with SP2
  • luckystrike
  • luckystrike

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was just wonderinf can you uninstall your video card drivers then download a new one?, mine in radeon 9600xt but my driver is the old ati can i change it to catalyst ? thanks for info.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts