Computer shut down when playing high graphics games -_-

  • Xem8
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Xem8
  • Posts: 5

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there guys!

Well, I have a great computer but I have a BIG problem..
Before, I could be in hours of gameplay, now, only 6-15 mins and my computer kind of.. shut down.
my screen goes black and there is a huge sound like: BEEEEP ( I know its hard to explain a sound XD)
I have to keep pressing the power button to completly close my computer then open it back..
then I get these problem over and over again... TrackMania, Vindictus, A.V.A., COD. ANYTHING!
(its only when I play. when i'm on youtube or a forum, everything is ok)

and now i'm bored... thanks for your help and suggestions guys..
  • Xem8
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Xem8
  • Posts: 5

Post 3+ Months Ago

P.S. I do not have lagg problems
  • Xem8
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Xem8
  • Posts: 5

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone? 0_0
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8416
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, first things first.

Computer make model
Operating System in use
Graphics card make model


What settings do you use the game's graphics to?
  • Xem8
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Xem8
  • Posts: 5

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its: Gateway
Operating system: Windows 7
Graphic card: Nvidia Geforce Gt220 1024Mo
Proccesor: Intel core quad Q8300
Memory: 6GB DDr3
Hard Drive: 640Go
HD

Hope it helps D=

My games are alway at highest graphic, but I also tried with low graphics and the problem stay still :cry:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13504
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

When is the last time you've opened the case and cleaned the dust out of the CPU/graphics-card fans?
  • Xem8
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Xem8
  • Posts: 5

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did it 1 week ago
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 679
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

just random but whats your cpu usage at in game?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13504
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you remove the heatsink/fan from your CPU? If you did, how well did you apply thermal paste between the CPU/heatsink before putting it back together?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8416
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

When did the problem start? What changes did you do to the machine before the machine started acting up like this?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1244
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
When is the last time you've opened the case and cleaned the dust out of the CPU/graphics-card fans?

beat me to it

Take a compressor to your computer and give it a blow job, she will love it :P

Which includes taking it apart every last piece don't do a half ass job of it!

As also mention check your CPU for paste and if there is no then get some.

I would also get some widgets that show your CPU RAM and internet data so you can keep note of what is happening.

There is all ways 3D mark for testing the limits but won't show errors or faulty hardware which is another thing you may need to look into if all else fails that you may need to upgrade some parts.

I guess you are on steam so update your gfx drivers too but steam being the love maker that it is updates when you download a new game but still should check anyway.

If you find a issue post up and keep testing not much else you can do.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8416
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check for updates to your graphics card.

Start Menu
Right Click on computer
Click Device Manager in the top left corner
Under Display Drivers right click on the Nvidia Geforce driver
Select Check for updates
In the box that opens click the one that checks from the internet

After the update (if there are any) the monitor might blink a few times, but that's ok... maybe do a restart of the machine.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 679
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous wrote:
joebert wrote:
When is the last time you've opened the case and cleaned the dust out of the CPU/graphics-card fans?

beat me to it

Take a compressor to your computer and give it a blow job, she will love it :P

Which includes taking it apart every last piece don't do a half ass job of it!

As also mention check your CPU for paste and if there is no then get some.

I would also get some widgets that show your CPU RAM and internet data so you can keep note of what is happening.

There is all ways 3D mark for testing the limits but won't show errors or faulty hardware which is another thing you may need to look into if all else fails that you may need to upgrade some parts.

I guess you are on steam so update your gfx drivers too but steam being the love maker that it is updates when you download a new game but still should check anyway.

If you find a issue post up and keep testing not much else you can do.


NOOO DO NOT USE AN AIR COMPRESSER. Air compressers have water moisture in it. BIG no. No. Go out and get the canned air. But like said before was anything done before this happened?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1244
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

really because every 3 months or so i clean my desks and take all my computer's monitors and consoles and take a compressor to them to clean them out and rebuild it all.

Like what kind of damage could be expected from a few times giving the computer a compressed bj
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8416
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Compressors have water in them... you must have gotten lucky and the compressor didn't spew out water when you used it. In school I worked with air compressors (wood shop) and sometimes, when I use the air compressor to blow dust off my project, my project would get wet.

Computer+water=disaster
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1244
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Compressors have water in them... you must have gotten lucky and the compressor didn't spew out water when you used it. In school I worked with air compressors (wood shop) and sometimes, when I use the air compressor to blow dust off my project, my project would get wet.

Computer+water=disaster


well it is fairly new so i don't think any grim or bacteria would of built up to cause moisture but i am going to put this theory to the test before my next cleaning session. because the compressor does a great job and if your tools are new and clean i don't see the difference but think this is called for a myth busters afternoon.

So in a few days i will have the results after some experimenting :P but i just have to prove this!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8416
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's no myth :lol: Like I said, I used an air compressor on my projects in wood shop and my project was always left with a little wet spot.

If the compressor is new, the container in the compressor might not be filled up with the water that is used to keep moisture from coming out of the hose.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1244
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

But i take care of mine by all ways leaving the valve open when not in use but i was thinking putting a A4 sheet of paper on the table and charging the compressor then see how much the page gets wet. If it is dry by the end of it then all good to clean.

Next useless project will be the dustless computer haha but gotta keep myself busy somehow
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8416
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might have a moisture trap installed on your compressor... I wouldn't trust a compressor but you do what you want.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.