Computer shutdown - hardware problem

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm glad it's coming to an end. Go to the control panel, administrative tools, computer management, disk management to see if you can find the GB conflict.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It says that the capacity is 298.09 GB and that 99% is free space with no fault tolerance and 0% overhead (whatever those two mean :scratchhead:).

Both drives are healthy :)

And the even log is showing an error (under System) for "Service Control Management"...

Event Log wrote:
The ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.

Doubt its the "disk space problem" but I want it to get fixed before it spreads into something that kills hard drives if it does :lol:
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Probably part of the drive was not formatted to NTFS. You can boot with a partitioning program or even a DOS boot disk to read the partitions

As for the error message. I wouldn't worry about that unless it happens a lot.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Probably part of the drive was not formatted to NTFS. You can boot with a partitioning program or even a DOS boot disk to read the partitions

As for the error message. I wouldn't worry about that unless it happens a lot.

I formatted my drive to NTFS TWICE ... Maybe that's the problem :scratchhead:
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That shouldn't matter.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
That shouldn't matter.

Actually it was like four times but it's good to hear that it doesn't matter. I'm thinking about just leaving it... It's still a lot of memory... at least it's enough. 298 gigs... better then 60gigs that I had before... only 21 gigs off than what it should be but whatever... thanks for the help Don :D
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're welcome.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I swear I'm going to shoot someone... My computer turns off every 5 minutes now and I have no time to check the event viewer. Every time I click "System" on even viewer my computer just turns off like I clicked an off button. That's very annoying. I have no idea why it is doing it.

I played around in the BIOS and found out that the OS it was "reading" or was "expecting" was windows 98/2000, I switched it to "Other" since there was no option for Windows XP Proffesional and that is what I'm using but it didn't make any difference. It still turns off every 5 minutes or so... actually 5 minutes is max on how much it was running after the computer started and I could go to files or folders.

I'm just thinking about using a single drive rather than two drives but I have to back-up some data from my old drive but it's quite hard since my computer turns off as soon as I start to do something. It doesn't even let me scan the drive's sectors for bad ones and fix them, and I'm somewhat sure that is what the problem is... is it true that my new, just bought hard drive is going bad? How does that work?

Or is it my old master hard drive which my computer rendered as a good drive then and now? I checked on the LifeGaurd systems for drives and the program says that both drives have passed it's test and disk management says that both drives are active and healthy.

I'm lost and quite pissed at this. I'm out of ideas on what to do... don't really want to format since I doubt that would fix the 'bad sector' problems and I would want to back-up some data from that drive before I format it if the need arises.

Do I need to re-partition the drive and format it especially for Windows XP Proffesional? If so, I have the disk and the program to do such thing but I'm not so sure if I would want to do that with the data on my drive still staying without being backed up and I have no idea how to back up the data when my computer turns off every now and then.

Thanks all in advance.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you saying that you're back to square one? Yes, a new drive can go bad. I've never seen any BIOS where there was an 'expecting' OS.

Remove whichever drive doesn't have the system files and see what happens.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I already tried that... it says "Operating System not found"
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you don't already have an external USB HD enclosure, then I would buy one. That way you can connect either of the drives to another PC and copy all data that you want to save.

After that, it's starting over.

How old is the PC in question?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

My computer is 6 years old :lol:

It had being working for a long time and just now it decided to act up and not work :banghead:

I might get a new computer next week, so I'm counting on that, but I'd like to back up some information from this breaking up/broken computer.

Thanks.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's six years old, save the drives and get something else. You can connect the drives to another PC through USB and save your data.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
If it's six years old, save the drives and get something else. You can connect the drives to another PC through USB and save your data.

Okay... I might make another computer from scratch or something. Maybe buy the parts (in new condition) and make my own computer. That should work :)...

Anyway, I'm getting another (3 year old computer) this upcoming Saturday so I would have some computer cases to choose from... thanks :)

Although I would like to get this settled...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moving those drives to another PC is the only way to settle it at this point. You have already spent way too much time on a 6 year old PC. It's time to try something else.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok. Could it be a problem that I have two instances of Photoshop CS3 installed on my computer?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I doubt it. We are up to 45 posts to repair a 6 year old PC. I just wouldn't take it any further.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
I doubt it. We are up to 45 posts to repair a 6 year old PC. I just wouldn't take it any further.

I know... I think it's fixed now... I went on Safe Mode deleted like about 150 files and uninstalled both of my photoshops since they were demos that are long time overdue and defragmented one of my drives and scanned my computed with Ad-Aware SE (then my computer turned off before I can remove the 2 critical items Adaware SE found...) going to rescan my computer and remove the critical files...

Right now, it broke a record... it has being working for about 1 hour without turning off... hope it stays unturned off :)

Thanks Don... I appreciate your help a lot...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any time Bogey.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 49 posts