Computer shutdown - hardware problem

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay... here is the problem... just about every time when I either leave the computer on it's own for a while and then return and press a button... that button acts like a quick shutdown button and the computer shuts down immediately... even if I click my mouse :x

Then it takes me like 30 minutes to turn the computer on and when it does it either turns on for a seconds and then turns off (so I get another 30 fun minutes to turn that sh!t on) and it either turns on or turns on but doesn't send any signals to my monitor so my monitor stays blank like it isn't receiving any signals... (If so, another fun 30 minutes).

Any help on this? I determined this to be a hardware problem...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check the event viewer. Make sure all fans are running.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block.

How do I fix that?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Download the diagnostic tools from the manufacturer's web site. For example, if it's a western digital HD, go to their site. Create a boot disc with the download and boot the machine. Run the program. If it can't fix the bad block, you need a new drive.

Back up all data first.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have two drives... drive "C" and drive "D"...I have no idea of any of their vendors... I know I need to get to drive "D"'s site but how do I find the manufacturer?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Open up the box and take a look, couldn't be any more simpler.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Open up the box and take a look, couldn't be any more simpler.

Thanks grinch :| Now where do I find that box? :scratchhead:
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Box = computer tower
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Box = computer tower

:lol: Lol, okay... haven't thought about that! Thanks :D :lol:

I thought you meant the box that the computer came in... long gone :D
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay... here's the thing. I have two drives as everybody already might know and I don't know which one is assigned to drive 'C' and which one is assigned to drive 'D'...

Drive 'D' is a slave drive and Drive 'C' is the master drive... if that helps to explain to me :lol:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, one of my drives are...

from westerndigital.com where on the site I can't do anything that is useful in my case but to contact and wait... which I am doing now... further information on it...

"Enhanced" IDE Hard Drive <- According to the HHD :lol:

Model number: WD600AB-22BVAO
Made in 21 April 2001 :shock:

My7 second drive (Probably the slave drive)... is...

60.0 GB at Maxtor D740X-6L
3.5" Series

That's all that I can get from all that... :scratchhead:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any one know of any good universal drive scanners?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.a ... d=5&swid=3

File Name: WinDLG.zip
File Size: 4.25 MB
That the one for the Western Digital drive but your error message said HD1 and the WD drive would be HD 0.

Maxtor drive
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287#maxtor
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=5&swid=3

File Name: WinDLG.zip
File Size: 4.25 MB
That the one for the Western Digital drive but your error message said HD1 and the WD drive would be HD 0.

Maxtor drive
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287#maxtor

Your AWESOME! Thanks so much :) Highly appreciated :D
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

The diagnostics said that my drive 'D' (The slave drive) is the bad one... (Or so I infer... it said that MAXTOR was a good drive and my computer said that Drive D has a bad block and one of the drives has failed diagnostics so I am assuming that the MAXTOR drive is the master drive and drive 'D' is the slave drive with the problem...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wait a minute. You said that the Western Digital drive was the C drive in your post Nov 23 6:36PM and the Maxtor (D) is the slave. That would mean that the Maxtor is the bad drive.

To be sure what is what, double check by doing 2 things. Go into the control panel, administrative tools, computer management, disk management. Try to match the specs to what you see there. For example: You said that the Maxtor was 60GB. Look for that.

A second way to be sure is look at the ribbon cables that connect to the drive. The master drive is usually on the last connector at the end of the cable and the slave on the middle connector.

Just be sure that you don't remove the wrong drive. If the slave is bad, you won't have to reinstall the OS.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually said that MAXTOR was a good drive and the master one since the master one is a good drive according to my computer. Here is my reasoning behind this...

My computer says that DRIVE D is the bad one...
According to Disk Management DRIVE D is DISK 0
MAXTOR passed the diagnostics...
The other drive failed the test...
The diagnostic program labeled the bad drive DISK 1 and MAXTOR as DISK 2.

According to DISK management both of the drives are healthy... both drives have the same size... both are NTFS...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand what you're saying now. There is a conflict between disk management and the diagnostic software as far as the labeling goes.

As long as your sure which drive is the bad drive then you're ready to replace it. If you're replacing the drive with system files on it, then back up your data and do the install.

You can always connect that bad drive to any PC in the future by using an external USB HD enclosure just in case there was something that you missed in the backup.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
I understand what you're saying now. There is a conflict between disk management and the diagnostic software as far as the labeling goes.

As long as your sure which drive is the bad drive then you're ready to replace it. If you're replacing the drive with system files on it, then back up your data and do the install.

You can always connect that bad drive to any PC in the future by using an external USB HD enclosure just in case there was something that you missed in the backup.

Okay. Thanks :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

OKAY! My computer got tired of me and now it doesn't turn on... it says some message that I had forgotten what it is at the moment. I'm using another computer... I guess you'll be able to help me better once I tell you what the message actually is...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's correct. The error message is needed.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here it is... I finally got access to a computer :( A long wait :banghead:

Stinking Computer wrote:
NTLDR IS MISSING
PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just found this site dealing with the exact problem I have (Number 7). How do I run fixboot and fixmbr when I have the message? How do I get to command prompt? Thanks for the help and information everyone ;) I greatly appreciate it :)

And what if I don't know the window's administrative password?

[EDIT] Nevermind... this page helped me :D [/EDIT]
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

It didn't help me... :banghead: I still need help a little...

I somewhat solved the problem by buying a new hard drive :lol: and I have trouble setting the jumpers... :scratchhead: I changed my master driver (the good drive) and I want my master drive as a slave drive but the master drive has the windows installed on it... How do I make my new drive as a single drive... and take away the slave drive (the bad one)?

Thanks...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you bought a new drive and you want it to be the master, then you have to install Windows or some other OS on it. After that, then you can use the original drive as storage space or copy what ever you need from it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's what I want and that is what I am actually doing :) The only problem is... :banghead: I removed the faulty drive and exchanged it with a drive that was a good one and put the new drive as a master drive. I formatted the new master drive and placed the OS CD in it (Windows XP Proffesional). It comes to a screen that says press spacebar to boot from a floppy or press c to boot from CD. I press C since I am using a CD and then it prints a line that says Place CD in CD-ROM and press spacebar when ready when I press spacebar it prints a line that says "Booting from CD..." and then right after that line another line prints saying... "NTLDR is missing... press CLTR+ALT+DEL to restart."

Any help?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never seen the NTLDR error message when booting from a CD. It has to be bypassing the CD boot and going to the HD. Go into the BIOS again and make sure the boot sequence is correct. Put the CDROM as the first boot device.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
I've never seen the NTLDR error message when booting from a CD. It has to be bypassing the CD boot and going to the HD. Go into the BIOS again and make sure the boot sequence is correct. Put the CDROM as the first boot device.

I did that... I even specified it to log on from the "Removable Devices" and it still shows me that message.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Log on? We're talking about booting from a CDROM. What does log on have to do with it and why is your CDROM listed as a removable device? Is it an external drive?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Log on? We're talking about booting from a CDROM. What does log on have to do with it and why is your CDROM listed as a removable device? Is it an external drive?

It was my mistake :lol: I got it fixed now :D I'm all hyped up right now. My removable device was a floppy :oops: and I was making a mistake on clicking on it and I accidentally exchanged my master drive (the good one) and left the bad one in place :lol: I changed it today and booted from my master drive and I'm back online with 289 gigs on my other drive although it should be 320 gigs... any reason for that? Thanks for you help Don it was sure an enlightening adventure :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 49 posts