Computer Shuts Off During Gameplay

• jhammerrx7
  • jhammerrx7

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm new to the forum and I need some help.

Lately, and I mean within the last month or two my computer will just shut off on me during gameplay. It is fine while im surfing or using other programs, but if im playing a game it will shut off. It doesnt matter which game either. It will shut off on a higher game like call of duty and even on smaller games like age of empires.

I did some searching on this forum and a couple of people said to check the temp of the hard drive. So i downloaded PC wizard and let it run last night as i started to play age of empires. I preiodically checked on the temp while playing the game and it never rose above 40 degrees C.

And then all of a sudden about 15 minutes into the game it just shuts off.
Then it wont start up without turning off the surge protector and letting it set for a couple of minutes.

Then on this forum it said that you could have a bad power source and to check the watts of it.
So my power source is an OKIA 420W.

I have a case fan and a cpu fan and heat sink, and a gig of ram.

If anybody can help me or knows of a program that checks how your power supply is running please let me know.

Thanks Josh
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Kidshark
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kidshark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey and welcome, I think this has already been mentioned in some other thread, so do a search and you might find your answer there already! 8)

Hmm....I think Everest shows whats going on with power, like whats going where....if that helps. Just put 'Everest Home Edition' in google.
  • jhammerrx7
  • jhammerrx7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another thing i just checked on pc wizard is that the +12v voltage right now is 11.67 Does this have anything to do with it?
  • jhammerrx7
  • jhammerrx7

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK I just downloaded Everest home and it says that my +12v voltage is at 12.22.

And my hd temp is 42 degrees C and my processor temp is 68 degrees C.
  • jhammerrx7
  • jhammerrx7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok i left everest running and left one side of my computer off and started playing age of empires.

I would check the cpu temp about every two minutes and in about 10 min. it rose up to 73 degrees C.

So i shut off the game and came and posted this info and right now its at 72 degrees C.

Is my cpu getting too hot causing my bios to shut the pc off?

And if it is why all of a sudden?
  • jhammerrx7
  • jhammerrx7

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just looked at the cpu fan and its pretty dirty.
Could this be causing anything?

I am going to shut it down and take the fan off and clean it up.
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dirt can cause the cpu/fan to overheat due to the lower temperature dissipation capability. You never said what kind of video card you have, because that too could be the cause of the random shut down. Your power supply also may be getting intermitent power reduction. But if your computer is fine on everything but games (ie higher GPU usage) it could the cause of your trouble. The CPU overheating from a low end graphics card will increase the usage of the CPU as compared to the normal surfing usage.

Why all of sudden could be caused by something starting to go bad. What kind of video card do you have?

One other thing that might be causing the problem, you have it plugged into a power strip correct? Do you have a UPS on the line?
  • jhammerrx7
  • jhammerrx7

Post 3+ Months Ago

I took my cpu fan and heat sink off and cleaned all the dust build up off of it and now it seems like everything is running fine.

I never thought that dust could cause a problem like this.

Well I guess I learned something new today.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you make sure to add [url="http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList.jsp?ThirdCategoryCode=010416"]Thermal compound[/url] between the CPU and the heat sink? This makes for a much better cooling solution, and is very important in the overall setup. I realize you've resolved the problem but, this is well worth it.
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually it's IMPERATIVE to have thermal cooling coumpound between the CPU and heatsink. Get anything of your choice and slap a little in there, that will ensure a 100% contact and the best heat disapation.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, I've seen a few heatsinks say that you don't need thermal compound but, that's bs, you need it, always. My heatsink came with thermal compound on it though.. which worked out pretty well.
  • Bezel0406
  • Born
  • Born
  • Bezel0406

Post 3+ Months Ago

ever since i reformated my computer last week ill be playing a high end game like Halo 2 or Battlefield 2 and my computer well shut down ill play a lower one like RCT3 or SIMS2 or Tropico 2 and it well shut down Y is this is it b.c over heating or is it b.c of my Graphics

i have 756 MB of RAM

Nvidia Geforce 6200 256 mb

1.8 GHZ Y IS IT DOING THIS IT WASNT DOING THIS before THE REFORMAT..... HELP ANYONE WITH ANSWERS EMAIL ME AT YAHOO04WK@COMCAST.NET THANKS
  • Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda
  • Loc: Dobins recovery facility Atlanta GA. USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to update your graphics card and look into upgrading your heatsink+fan cpu cooling assembly if your having issues with heating. If that doesn work, you could go insanely all out and buy a nautilaus 500 liquid cooling system.

I want one but I'm scared.
  • Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check it out

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle. ... =789&cid=9
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why does he need to upgrade his graphics card? A 6200 is fine. Download speedfan ( http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php ) and then tell us your temps. It really does sound like an overheating issue so lets see what comes from speedfan.
  • Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda

Post 3+ Months Ago

A 6200 is fine, but if you wan to play high end games on your computer witch it sounds like he does, I just think he should look into it. I could be very wrong, but in my expirience getting the best graphics card you can (for gameing) is usualy a good idea, I'm not trying to be sarcastic or rude or anything.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think he will be able to get away with using a 6200 on most up to date games, I dont think any new games would require much more than a 6600 or 6800 at the most and they should also be future proof. However 6800's onwards produce a lot of heat so if the system is overheating I dont think he is going to be wanting something to contrabute to it.
  • Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good point, Hotheads like me just like to have the best of everything and don't think about the consequences. Cooler heads prevail.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

my mobile 7800gtx [with desktop clocks] idles at 40ºc. something might be a tad wrong..
  • SenateS684

Post 3+ Months Ago

as everyone else said, upgrade your CPU heatsink/fan. just wanted to be another person to tell you this so you do not forget.

Get a high quality heatsink/fan (Thermaltakes tend to fail on me, chew on that) and a high quality thermal paste, such as arctic silver 5. Thermal Paste plays a huge roll in cooling, make sure you clean off the CPU with a Q tip dipped in rubbing alcohol, spread some thermal paste on the heatsink then whipe it off so the particles settle in the metal allowing a better contact, then add a think covering on the CPU with the new thermal paste. I suggest using half a credit card that has been cut in half to spread it.

have fun
  • jestevam
  • Born
  • Born
  • jestevam

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm having the same problem

speedfan says:

gpu 46c
temp1 25
temp2 57
temp3 73
temp 1
core 70
core 46
ambient 0

has a little fire symbol near temp2, temp3, and the 1st core

what's the best way to underclock my computer till i can fix the heating problem?
  • lindsay
  • Student
  • Student
  • lindsay

Post 3+ Months Ago

the game which you are playing in the computer does not support your motherboard.
check the requirements of the game after that meet the requirements of the computer with the game requirements.

your computer does not full fills the requirements so that it restarts it while playing the game on the computer.

you can upgrade the graphics card and ram .
  • ah121076
  • Born
  • Born
  • ah121076

Post 3+ Months Ago

i found the Solution !!!!! Very Easy One!

it is the Bios SETUP! YES!
in section "PC Health" you will find option for temperature warning. this makes your pc shuts down instead of giving you a warning. Raise the warning temp or Disable this option.
that is it!!! ;)
  • nurotic
  • Born
  • Born
  • nurotic

Post 3+ Months Ago

im having somewhat the same problem, but i am running a different sort of rig. its a PC made from an IBM server. i went ahead and got everest home and had it running, but nothing sensitive came up. aside from my bios allowing me to know my pci-x2 slot throws an error, which is where my graphics card is. anyway here is my detailed information on my rig.

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name PC-4YVD893I1Z5I
User Name Pc User

Motherboard:
CPU Type 2x DualCore AMD Opteron 280, 2400 MHz (12 x 200)
Motherboard Name IBM MS-9145
Motherboard Chipset AMD-8100, AMD Hammer
System Memory 7680 MB (PC2100 Registered ECC DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix ServerBIOS (09/02/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (644911880501)

Storage:
IDE Controller AMD-8111 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller
Disk Drive Hitachi HDS721616PLA380 SCSI Disk Device (153 GB)
Optical Drive TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2502 (8x/24x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 157057 MB (144359 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse HID-compliant mouse
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet (dont really need my IP xD)
Network Adapter Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

Peripherals:
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 Controller AMD-8111 HyperTransport I/O Hub - OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB1 Controller AMD-8111 HyperTransport I/O Hub - OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
  • wofleshaman1
  • Born
  • Born
  • wofleshaman1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright so i am having a very similar issue and i know that my computer is way more than i'm guessing 99% of the recommended system requirements for games out there. and the game that is causing this is currently Sword of the new world. Lord of the rings online caused it once but has not happened since i rebooted the computer afterwards. Sword causes it everytime without fail, anything else the computer runs as it should. the information is as follows. this was taken straight from the everest program so everything says trial because it wants me to upgrade to the new aida64 of which i have no intention of ever doing.

The processor is one of the ones that was originally a 955 then locked down to a 555 becasue they were running out of stock from what i have been reading about it. it fully unlocks to a quad Core processor and is absolutely stable at 4.1ghz. the Cooling system i use is the H50 watercooling system. so i know it is not overheating. i will post that as well.

CPU Type DualCore AMD Phenom II X2 Black Edition 555, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset AMD 785G, AMD K10
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DIMM2: A-Data DDR3 1600G [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DIMM4: A-Data DDR3 1600G [ TRIAL VERSION ]
BIOS Type Award Modular (11/30/09)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2 (1024 MB)
Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2 (1024 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2 (R700)
Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB]

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI RV770/790 - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Adapter ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI RV770/790 - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC889A @ ATI SB750 - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 ATA Device (500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
Optical Drive Optiarc DVD-ROM DDU1675A ATA Device (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

that is the end of what is pertinent to this particular posting. here are the temp reading from the same program

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8718F (ISA 228h)
GPU Sensor Type Diode (ATI-Diode)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte MA785GM(T) / MA785GPM(T) Series
Chassis Intrusion Detected Yes

Temperatures
Motherboard 26 °C (79 °F)
CPU 30 °C (86 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 19 °C (66 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 19 °C (66 °F)
Aux 27 °C (81 °F)
GPU1: GPU Diode (DispIO) 38 °C (100 °F)
GPU1: GPU Diode (MemIO) 42 °C (108 °F)
GPU1: GPU Diode (Shader) 42 °C (108 °F)
GPU2: GPU Diode (DispIO) 38 °C (100 °F)
GPU2: GPU Diode (MemIO) 38 °C (100 °F)
GPU2: GPU Diode (Shader) 42 °C (108 °F)
Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Cooling Fans
CPU 990 RPM
Fan #4 1398 RPM
GPU1 3%
GPU2 3%

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.10 V
+3.3 V 3.36 V
+12 V [ TRIAL VERSION ]
VBAT Battery 3.09 V
DIMM 1.60 V

it will not tell me what the 12v is at but its going to be a little up there. had to hardwire two new fans into the PSU and so dont know whether or not that could be affecting it. but the thing is that i do not believe it is as everything else has been absolutely fine. the processor was returned to normal clocking for testing as well because i thought it might be that but there has been no change in what happens.
  • helpmepls
  • Born
  • Born
  • helpmepls

Post 3+ Months Ago

My computer turns off when i am playing computer games,when my AVG is scanning,on video effects,when i am watching videos on internet...

Processor: AMD Atholon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.10 GHz
RAM: 2 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating system

please help me

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts