Computer turned off, now only fan comes on

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I caught my neighbor on his way out the door to go to work and found out his computer died on him, so I offered to have a look at it while he's at work to make sure there's no loose cables, dust build up, etc. He says he was playing a game on Facebook (he uses this system primarily for games) and out of nowhere the system turned off and now when he tries to turn it on the CPU fan starts spinning but nothing else happens.

My best guess for the age of this system is between 1 and 2 years. I believe he put a better graphics card and a new power supply in when he bought it.

I've hooked it up using two different monitor cable types and using both the video card and onboard video spots on the system at my place and nothing has changed. I'm thinking his power supply crapped out on him, but I don't have a meter or similar system to test it with/in.

Sound like a power supply to anyone else ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Trying a different power supply is the first step.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did the PS fix him up?

My neighbor in college had a similar problem. I told him it's not getting to POST so it's probably not good. I said it's likely MB or PS. Well, he went and bought a new powersupply and I guess he was tired of his old keyboard so he bought a new cheap one ($12). He got home and swapped the keyboard first and his computer booted. He never needed the PS.

You mentioned you use cables, etc at your house. Did you use your keyboard?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's funny you mention that. When I cleaned one of my systems I swapped which USB port my keyboard was plugged into inadvertently after cleaning it and Windows didn't want to boot after that.

In my neighbors case though, nothing had changed. He was just playing a game of Facebook and all of a sudded the computer shut off as if the power cord had been yanked out of the wall and it refused to boot up after that.

Still no word on what's wrong with it. He had a bunch of things hit him all at the same time so the computer went to the bottom of his list of things to do.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm always curious to solutions to these problems. It's strange to me how the computer is affected by peripherals seemingly before POST. I do remember systems when I was little not loading the OS cause keyboard/mouse was missing during the boot sequence. It just stopped at the point in the boot process where it was looking for a mouse and keyboard. I didn't think anything happened before the computer is turned on. Well, maybe he'll get back around to it. I got this thread on my posts board so I'll see it if you post back if you get any more info.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts