computer turns off automaticly?

• help_me
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • help_me

Post 3+ Months Ago

why does my pc keep turning off automaticly? my system is not frozen, and it just resets all by its self!

is it spyware? is it a virus?

HELP ME OUT HERE!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• BartAfterDark
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • BartAfterDark

Post 3+ Months Ago

well.
Please do NOT send PM's just so we can read your topic.

First of all, does the computer runs windows xp?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Overheating will cause your system to reboot without warning.
  • NuAngel
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Erie, PA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a machine that did this once. After months and months of trouble shooting everything from creative soundcards, to VIA chipsets replaced a motherboard ($ I didn't have), IRQ settings, new RAM, all of this other work... I was baffled. Finally a friend looked at my computer, and called me a complete idiot. Now I know better.

The problem was overheating - even with a thousand fans and the side of the case wide open it would still over heat. What was the real root of the problem?

The CPU had TOO MUCH Thermal Paste on it. I've always heard there was such a thing as "too much" but never did I realize I was doing it.

http://www.techspot.com/gallery/data/50 ... _paste.jpg

Follow that picture.

ONLY put thermal paste right on the CORE of the CPU, just that one little rectangular bit in the center of the CPU - and even then, DO NOT put TOO MUCH on.

If you've already coated your entire cpu or you think there's too much on there, you can (painstakingly) clean it off with some kind of cloth (I used the silky lense cleaners that your eye doctor will give you to clean your glasses).

That's my best suggestion. I truley recommend it. I thought "who me? never" - but sure enough, too much thermal paste was my problem.

NuAngel
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Too much thermal paste can damage the cpu or kill it. One of my friends did it and after laughing at him for about an hour I showed him what to do.
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also if your cpu fan is not directly on your cpu processor or it's shifted( happened to me when the latches broke and i had it hooked up with rubber bands) the computer hangs up/freezes or in your case restarts to stop any type of damage t your system. This might also be the cause of the overheating.

PS. Your so very helpful tom :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts