Computer won't boot

• Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

So this is one I haven't had before. Computer won't even boot far enough to let me get into BIOS. It loads the EVGA logo, and then stalls(hasn't booted started USB yet). Motherboard is an X58 Platinum SLI, 2x ATI Radeon 6870, Intel I7 960, 8x Western Digital Caviar Black HDD's. If anybody has run into any similar issues I'd appreciate it if you could let me know if you found out what the issue was. Going to start with unplugging all the devices, then start checking each stick of ram.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My first best guess is your hard drive is toast
  • Blackfire
  • Blackfire

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just adding my thoughts here;

the bios might be corrupt, or its settings are looking for something that's not there.

Following on from your comment about unplugging everything, while you do that before you turn it back on again try resetting the bios, (Jumper switch, or removing the CMOS battery for ten minutes.)

When a computer turns on it goes through P.O.S.T
(Power on self test)

Quote:
verify CPU registers
verify the integrity of the BIOS code itself
verify some basic components like DMA, timer, interrupt controller
find, size, and verify system main memory
initialize BIOS
discover, initialize, and catalog all system buses and devices
pass control to other specialized BIOSes (if and when required)
provide a user interface for system's configuration
identify, organize, and select which devices are available for booting
construct whatever system environment that is required by the target operating system
Taken from wikipedia.

During the POST routine, you get a series of beeps to indicate where the problem is, check to make sure you motherboard has a speaker, if not you can buy one from almost anywere online for next to nothing

Quote:
www. google .com/products/catalog?q=motherboard+speaker&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=aeE&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&biw=1280&bih=893&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12741005373895223740&sa=X&ei=H4VkT46zB47B8gO68rGbCA&ved=0CJMBEPMCMAA

The beep codes you can find here:
Quote:
http://www. computerhope .com/beep.htm

Please remove the spaces from the domain names in my quotes, as I don't have permission to post URLs yet

hope this helps.
  • sotu.ganguli
  • Born
  • Born
  • sotu.ganguli
  • Loc: Bhubaneswar

Post 3+ Months Ago

HI! I agree with BlackFire,
you should do a step by step troubleshooting. So, first unplug all devices connected with the motherboard. Just keep the Processor, RAM and Powersupply in it. Connect Display and Keyboard and switch it on. This way, you'll avoid causing accidental issues with any other hardwares and you'll be sure that, the other devices has nothing to do with the problem.

If your system works, then go for connecting back all devices one by one and check time to time for the effects. You'll find the problem.

If your system still doesn't work, remove the CMOS battery and short the CMOS JUMPER to clear all past memory. May be, this would work.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

something has died, just as suggested by others just gotta test each part one by one and connect the dots.

Hows it looking so far?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts