Computer wont read my Cd-Rom Drive. Help please

• JeimyGirl
  • Born
  • Born
  • JeimyGirl
  • Loc: Jax, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I took my computer apart to clean it. It was very dusty and it was buggin gme sinc ei have a clear window. Its a custom built computer, and so far its very simple.

But, when i took it apart this time, and put it back together the same way, somethign went wrong...

I turned on my computer and i was about to instal a new printer (hp psc 2410v) and i noticed that the cd-rom would not open. I thought oh no, somthign must be loose, so i checked everythign, and after the 3rd time, i got it to open right. At first, it would open during boot up, but as soon as the boot screen came on, it wouldnt' open. but now i got it to open all the time. Soi thoguth, finally its fixed!

But i was wrong...

I checked my "My Computer" and i noticed that my Cd-Rom icon wasn't even there. It's a CD-RW/DVD rom. I dont know what to do. The computer is about 10 months old, and it doens't have a warrenty, sinc ei custum built it, but i am out of idea's and my mind it just blank.

Can anyone help me........?

Thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Swap your harddisk and cd drive IDE cables. Then restart. Or just unplug retart, then plug it in and restart.

Open device manager and see the error codes. If you get any driver missing error you need to reinstall CD drive. Restart in safe mode and uninstall CD drive from device manager. Then start normally. It should auto detect the drive.

Hope this helps.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, sounds to me like it's the CD-Rom. Have you tryed testing it on another computer?
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes that is also a good option.

Or see this

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;320553

By the way, are you using XP?
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

pramitroy, It sounds to me more of a drive problem, what does power have to do with the operating system? It won't open.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

It can at least reinstall and redetect the drive.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, but the drive is not recieving power if it cannot be opened by pressing the button. You do not even need a S/ATA ribbon plugged into it to open it up.
  • JeimyGirl
  • Born
  • Born
  • JeimyGirl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh yea, i forgot to tell you, i am using XP. And i have already tried swapping the cables. Under the Device manager, my CD-Drive doesn't show up either, so its not like it has an error. So it seems like my computer had minor amnesia lol. j/k. but seriously, its like when i turned my computer back on, my computer forgot it even had a cd-rom drive. there's no sign of it anywhere in my computer. Even under the "System Information" It says CD-ROM but its blank when i click on it.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

But blink,
JeimyGirl wrote:
but now i got it to open all the time

blink182av wrote:
it cannot be opened by pressing the button
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then its more likely to be the CD drive itself. Try it on another machine.

JeimyGirl wrote:
Oh yea, i forgot to tell you, i am using XP. And i have already tried swapping the cables. Under the Device manager, my CD-Drive doesn't show up either, so its not like it has an error. So it seems like my computer had minor amnesia lol. j/k. but seriously, its like when i turned my computer back on, my computer forgot it even had a cd-rom drive. there's no sign of it anywhere in my computer. Even under the "System Information" It says CD-ROM but its blank when i click on it.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, I did not see that :) sorry.

Well, have you tested it on another computer?
  • JeimyGirl
  • Born
  • Born
  • JeimyGirl

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont have that oportunity right now, but this problem happened from one second to the other. And it only opens all the time if i open it al leave it openwhile it boots up
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

the single downfall of building it yourself.

you have to figure out anything that goes wrong with it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts