Computer wont stay on

• RoyG28
  • RoyG28
  • Loc: ILLINOIS

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble with my sisters computer, It's an older HP pavilion 7850. She told me that it had just started shutting off on it's own. Sometimes it would stay on longer than others. Well it finally got to the point where it would only come on for a few seconds. So the first thing I did was spray all the dust out and then I replaced the PSU. I thought that would definitely solve the problem, but it's still doing the same thing. When I first plug it in it sounds out a one second beep, all the fans come on then it sounds out about a two second beep then shuts off. Sometimes when I leave it plugged in for a while after it has shut down it will turn on by itself for about 10-20 seconds with no beeps and shut off. It does all this with out touching the power button. I double checked the new PSU by plugging it into my system and it worked fine. I don't see any visible damage to the M.B. Any ideas? Could it be the power button? I'll try checking that right after I post this.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it's a mother board problem. Each mother board has beep codes. Open the box and try to locate the model of the mother board. Then look for the beep codes on the net.
  • RoyG28
  • RoyG28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, The only thing I could find for a two beep error code points back to the power supply. I might not be looking in the right places though. I still haven't had a chance to see if I can check the power button. I don't even know if that could be the problem but it seems kinda weird to me that as soon as I plug it in it starts up and shuts down. Also after it shuts down, pressing the power button doesn't bring it back on. I'll see if I can check it when I get home today. Thanks for the reply.
  • RoyG28
  • RoyG28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I was able to connect my power switch to the other computer and sure enough it worked. When I plugged it in it didn't automatically turn on and when I pressed the button it came on and stayed on. I left it on for about an hour. So it looks like I just need to get another power switch. well I have to try to find one.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a first for me. Every time I've run into that problem, it has either been the mother board or the power supply.
  • RoyG28
  • RoyG28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really? Well I'm glad it wasn't the mother board because if that was the case I would have just told my sister to forget it . I'm not out of the woods yet though, I'll be happy when I get a switch in there and everything is up and running well. It was kind of a pain removing the front casing to get the switch out. I just orderd one off of Ebay, I don't think any local stores here carry them or I would have just ran out and got it.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if I would buy an electrical component, of any sort, on ebay unless it was last resort but as you said, it's better than having the mother board go bad.
  • RoyG28
  • RoyG28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh I agree, but I couldn't find one anywhere except ebay. Your right it must be a pretty uncommon problem. My guess is when the PSU started going bad my nephews probably started beating on the power button...Ha Ha.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL, Let us know how it goes.
  • RoyG28
  • RoyG28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just an update, I installed the new power switch and everything is running fine. The ebay ad called it a " Mini Momentary Power Switch " It was exactly what I needed. Other than the fact that the system is infected with spyware (so I'm working on that now) I'am glad to have it up and running.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's good news. Have fun.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts