Connecting ACER laptop to LCD TV

• rh2007
  • Born
  • Born
  • rh2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all, I would value any help you could offer....

I own an ACER laptop with a geforce fx go5200 graphics card. I recenty bought a Sharp 26" LCD TV that has a VGA cable connection.

I connected the laptop and tv with a standard VGA cable and using a serial cable (i think) for the audio output.

I am able to display the laptop screen on the TV. Unfortunately, when I try to watch a DVD through my laptop on the tv i can hear the sound but the video does not display. I can see everything else on the screen e.g. the buttons for the program i'm running it through, or the taskbar, but no video.

I'm not sure how to sort this problem. I have tried to go in to the display properties to change the resolutions and stuff, but it wont let me change the resolution of the external monitor (TV).

I have seen similar things happen when people try to display videos through a projector but not sure how they get around it.

Hope someone can shed some light.

R
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since you just bought the Sharp TV, you have free tech support from them. Just call the toll free number which you will find in the papers that came with it. That way there won't be any guessing. I did it with Sony when I hung a TV on the wall for a customer of mine. Between the TV company and the cable company, we made all the connections including the DVD.

Now that I think of it, there may be something like video 1, video 2, etc... Each one represents a different input.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is interesting that you can hear the sounds...yet not image?
You are able to see the buttons?
On my Acer there is a keyboard command to switch the display. Perhaps this affects your signal being received?
On mine it is Fn and F5. The icon looks like two rectangles separated by a "|" with one screen all black and the other with a white box inside.
If you succeed with the tech support, fill us in, please.
  • GhoHogan
  • Born
  • Born
  • GhoHogan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think this may have to do with DRM that Windows now has installed on PC's. I think that this started with Vista, but now whenever you try to play a DVD or other possibly copyrighted material, it must be on a [Vista] certified monitor/display. It might not say Vista certified, it might be some other certification but hopefully I've at least pointed you in the right direction.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts