Cool Off my Computer Closet

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a closet with all my networking stuff in it. Recently, we added a couple of computers to the closet to run other various stuff. So, I bought a little thermometer and placed it in the closet to monitor the temperature. Well, it's about 80-90 degrees F. My questions are:

1. What is an optimal temperature and humidity for computer equipment, switches, routers, etc.
2. What are some options to safely cool off the room? Currently, I've been leaving the door cracked or fully opened but it's not helping much. I've also added just a table fan. A co-worker mentioned an evaporator cooler. But, my concern is how much moisture do they add to the air (so I need to know range of humidity for electronics) and also most of the units are for small rooms which are way larger than a closet. So, even if the unit increases moisture by a certain amount we would certainly have to double it for the space we're trying to cool. Any better methods out there.

Thanks.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say an exhaust fan. Is the closet against an outside wall or is there a roof above it?
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

roof above it. Not against an outside wall.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as the numbers go your looking for 16-24 C and 45% - 50% humidity. These numbers kind of depend on the pessure in the room aswell. The idea is to run right above the dew point so your getting the lowest temperature without water condensation. Having a lower humidity would allow you to lower the temperature, as the dew point would be lower. However, with lower humidity its easier to build up static electricity.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
The idea is to run right above the dew point so your getting the lowest temperature without water condensation

That's what I'm looking for. So, I need to get the current humidity of the room and go from there and I think we have someone coming to look at putting a louvered door on the closet and an exhaust fan.

Thanks for your help. I'll report back in a few days what I'm running at.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think an exhaust fan is all you need.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

We're getting the fan installed first and go from there. Hopefully, it will drop it about 10 degrees or a little more and we'll be done.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let us know what happened. BTW, buy at least 100 cfm fan. Don't buy contractor grade for 20 dollars. It might as well have a light in it too.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts