Copying all contents of old HDD to new HDD

• triple888s
  • Born
  • Born
  • triple888s

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm just about to purchase a new box with a new 160 gig HDD with no operating system. Now in my old box I have a 10 gig HDD that I have just installed Win XP Pro and other crap and have set it up exactly as I l ike it. So my question is:

When my new box arrives can I copy/mirror the complete contents of my oldd HDD onto my new HDD so that becomes the master drive and I don't have to install XP again? And if so how do I go about doing it.

Thanks for your help
888's

:roll:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's probaly not a good idea. You should just copy all of the files that you want. Saving an entire Windows install is just asking for trouble since your computer will get confused with the new hardware.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are moving to a machine with the same or a similar motherboard and or chipset, you may be able to get away with it. If not you'll likely get all kinds of conflicts and XP may not even start.
  • horkam
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Central, KY

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best thing to do is to install XP on the new box then add the old 10 gig drive and copy the files you need. If you dont need the 10 gig drive for anything you may want to leave it in your new box for a month or so just in case there is something you are not thinking of now. If you need the old drive now then it is probably best to copy the entire contents of that drive to a folder on the new drive then browse it at your leisure.

If you are unsure of your hardware skills and do not think you can put both drives in one machine one option would be to purchase a USB drive enclosure and put the old drive in it and just plug it in over USB in the new machine. This would also be handy later on if you purchased another big drive for the USB device.

Good luck...Nothing is worse than losing good data.
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could always try ghosting the old drive onto the new one. Then try booting from the new 160 GB drive in your new machine. If you're able to scratch your way through installing the new drivers then you could be on your way. Depending on the equipment you have I would say you have a 50/50 chance.

Worse case scenario: it doesn't work and you have to just do a clean XP install and then copy all your stuff like it was mentioned in the previous posts.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts