Copying files needed for Windows Setup

• SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there i have got my hands on some P III 733 MHZ mobos, There are the MSI ms-6337 mother boards with the intel 815 EP PRO Chipsets. I got the hard drive partitioned and formated. i have slaped a couple sets of memory sticks in it. I have tried different hard drives, cd rom drives, floppie disk drives, and even changes the ide and floppy disk cable to different ones. I updated the bios. I pulled the jumper on the mobo to reset the bios, I have tried to setup win 98 and it hangs at copying files needed for windows setup... nothing happens after that the floppy disk starts to read and stays lit up there is no movement. I have never got them past this point. I have never had this problem before so i would like to solve it on my own but i cant i have had to resort to you all thanks.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Suggestion. Add the CDROM drivers to the floppy?
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have tried the add a different rom in the beginning to x out the cd rom as being a bad piece of hardware and it does the same thing i know the hard drive is good, the boot disk is good and i can even to switch to the cd rom drive and view files i have chance cables. any helo would br great and tools you know of that i can bood to to test the harware etc
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just tossing in some (possibly useless) advice. I've had problems before when I tried to install an O/S onto a formatted drive and it turned out the RAM sticks were bad, even though they were working fine prior to the installation. Maybe get a hold of some good RAM and give it a go? If you're RAM sticks are new, then I'll keep thinking of other possible probs.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i have ruled out the ram too, when i start to install the os it stops as you know then when i check to see the fils on the harddrive it shows that one is on there and it is dammaged i am kinda too busy to get the name of it right now but it is just one of the first files that are put on the hardrive to start the setup i am thinking there is a error from the processing of the inbetween the cd rom and hardrive which would include the ram and cpy and chipset those are the ones that are most likely to go out and are changible in 2 of those cases. but any other help would be good if you need the file name i can get it for you all i dont see it to be much help, what i am looking for is a dos bootable disk or even a bootable cd that i can make for free that i will be able to test the hardware.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am going to bring this topic to a software ? which still relates to the harware peoblem i had someone mail me a copy of the knnopx linux v3.3 to boot to the cd cause as most of you know it is a live cd, and now it get it to boot and it hangs at the harware initizlation process "crc error <6> freeing initrd memory 478k freed" i am some what of a n00bie to linux messages so if any one can help me i would love it
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

This Might Or Might Not Help You With Your Problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;1139
  • razorjch16
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • razorjch16
  • Loc: Longview, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had this same problem once, so I borrowed some of my friend's ram and tried it and it worked on my first try. Of course, this was with windows xp so it might not work.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the memory is fine i have several sticks so what is the next logical step and hopefully a linux guru will see the linux error and know what it is caused by.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

SecureITGroup wrote:
I am going to bring this topic to a software ? which still relates to the harware peoblem i had someone mail me a copy of the knnopx linux v3.3 to boot to the cd cause as most of you know it is a live cd, and now it get it to boot and it hangs at the harware initizlation process "crc error <6> freeing initrd memory 478k freed" i am some what of a n00bie to linux messages so if any one can help me i would love it

I'm not a linux guru but I hope this site may be of help for that error...
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9889&view=previous
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

well thanks for the reply no i got a error of vfs: mounted root (ext2 file system) so now what is this error caused by i have no clue but lets home someone can narrow it down to a specific harware pice;) thanks for all the help so far
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i build and fix pcs for a living. sounds like it's the mobo or ram you tried ram so it's goto be the mobo. p3 mobos are cheap. here at my local pc store they are $20. try that out. it should fix the problem. if you need help or have questions. I'm always online you can just pm me.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

check out 10.11 on this site regarding that new error

http://www.geocities.com/cyberkabila/faq/linuxfaq8.htm

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts