Core 2 Duo E6750 Temp

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just finished putting together most of my new PC, minus the drives and a few other minor things. I'm using the following:

- EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 CPU
- Cooler Master Hyper L3 CPU Cooler
- OCZ Silver Thermal Compound

My bios is reporting CPU temps in the low 50's, but from what I've read online, idle temps for this processor should be in the low to mid 30's. I plan on re-seating the HSF tomorrow to see if that helps.

Does anyone know what could be causing the high temp? Does too much (or too little) thermal compound make that much of a difference?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm itching to get this thing going for some Half Life 2...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thermal paste should be smeared over the whole of the contacting surface between HSF & CPU. make sure there is 1-2mm of the stuff, some people say too much is bad, but i find that amount works well.

Just make sure the cpu is flush with the HSF, try taking the motherboard out of the case, disconnecting it and putting it on a table and looking at its level, see how its mounted.

hows the ventilation in your case? any other fans in there? what cpu/psu? good intake/outtake?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

The case is still open as I am not finished installing the rest of the components, so case ventilation is not at issue yet.

My heatsink/fan came with thermal compound already on it, but I removed it and opted to use a better compound I bought with the rest of my components. I spread it across the entire surface of the CPU, and I would like to say it was on pretty evenly. I'm going to try adding a little more tonight.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, from what I've been reading, apparently I'm not supposed to spread the stuff over the entire CPU. OCZ's instructions say to apply a thin line in the center between the two cores and let the heat sink spread it out.

Looks like I'll be redoing this tonight..
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nucleo wrote:
Thermal paste should be smeared over the whole of the contacting surface between HSF & CPU. make sure there is 1-2mm of the stuff,

dude, 2 mm thermal pastes wasnt that a bit too much? id been rethinking much several times before. how much thermal paste is enough...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I reapplied the thermal paste as a small line between the two cores, and my temps are down around 38 degrees idle, which is good enough for me right now. I might consider purchasing a better HSF if I want to overclock, which I do.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I do when I apply TIM (Thermal Interface Material) is:

1.) Clean both the processor & HSF with 91% Dimethyl Sulfoxide/H20 or 97% Ethanol/Deionized Water solutions.
    2.) Apply small amount of TIM to bottom of HSF and rub it into the copper/aluminum/silver using a plastic baggy over my finger, and then I buff off with a lint-less paper-towel.
    3.) Apply a 2mm L x 2mm W x 1mm H drop of TIM to the processor and smear edge to edge on the die.
    4.) Seat HSF tightly.
    5.) Burn in processor for 24 hours.

My normal CPU temps on Core 2 Quad Q6700 are 33°C idle/49°C load. I only use Thermalright coolers with Panaflo fans.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Burn in processor?
  • deathblade
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: u.k

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah leave it running lol
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

SiSoft Sandra has a burn-in application. I've used it once before, not sure if it does anything special.

http://www.sisoftware.net
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is this really necessary? I've been using the computer for a day or two now...
  • deathblade
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: u.k

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dout it lol a day your 2 of use should be fine lol i've neva needed to "burn" a processor in
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Burning in the processor does a few key things where it is ideal for thermal interface material.

"Burning In" means running the processor under full load for a lengthy period of time.
Also, most of the advanced thermal materials require sustained high-heat to activate them.

What happens is the molecules in the medium realign to provide better thermal transfer. In pastes, it will also ensure there are no air bubbles trapped in the TIM that could cause higher temperatures because the material "settles."

Some adhesive TIMs require a burn-in to actually ensure the best cohesion.

Now, YMMV but I normally see a 2 - 3°C drop across the board after a complete burn-in period. Its nothing major, but it could get you a few more MHz if your overclocking.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the info, I had no idea about this. I'll look into it.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I was in college I did a thesis on the thermodynamics of modern computer processing. I basically duped my college to pay for me to use phase-change and overclock the living daylights out of processors and then wrote a 30-page paper on it.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I envy you.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it was a lot easier 4 years ago then it is today, I'm sure. I was never a studious person except when it came to what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it and found early on in college to tweak everything around that. After that I did substantially better in school. Although college didn't teach me much, and overall I still feel that college was a monumental waste of time and money.

Today, in the U.S. If you want to make anything more than minimal wage you HAVE to go to college. So its a great little racket they have going. When I hire people though, I could care less that you had a 4.0 GPA and were on the deans list at Harvard or Yale. I ask those people into interviews just to have fun watching them break under pressure. I could care less if you can play lacrosse and the violin and you can sing opera. I want the guy that was the 12yr old computer guru back in the day. I want the guy that can suck down 30 Mt. Dews listening to Rammstein at ear-bleeding volume for 20 hours a day writing the next pandemic grade computer virus.

And I certainly don't want a MIS, IST or Business Major. I want the majors where at orientation the head honcho stands in front of all the freshmen and says "By the time you graduate, 40% of you will become alcoholics because the material is so tough - and oh yeah, you can forget about graduating in 4 years - if you make it out in less than 7, I'll be impressed."
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
Today, in the U.S. If you want to make anything more than minimal wage you HAVE to go to college.

I have to disagree with that statement. I make way more than minimum wage and I don't have a degree.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I mean its not like you can't get a decent job without a degree. But it is substantially harder. Bill Gates doesn't have a degree and he was at one point the richest man alive.

College is a good idea, but these universities need to go. It shouldn't cost $30,000 a year, plus $3000 a year for books, plus $3,300 a year for room and board. Then they have Lab Fees, Parking permit fees, this fee that fee. It's pathetic.

I liked the military better than college. They give you everything you need and all you need to do is blow up some poor country to get the president's washy washy from an intern off the front page of the news.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts