Corrupted Hard Drive

• DebianSpiral
  • DebianSpiral
  • Loc: East Coast U.S.A

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, I have a 320gb hard drive with a lot of stuff on it, I wanted to create a new partition in the empty space to put some different stuff in. um. During that process, Partition Magic 8, said the operation couldn't be completed and i didn't really care, but when I went to look at the images on that drive there was nothing there :shock: now when i try and browse the drive it says that it's corrupted and unreadable, is there any way to recover the data from the drive? I tried Acronis but it won't repair it if the partition isn't empty.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use an external USB hard drive enclosure and connect it to another PC in a case like that.

There are other ways using various boot discs.
  • gizm0
  • Loc: York

Post 3+ Months Ago

it sounds like the partition might have really got messed up. Partitions are a lot like the contents page of a book. If you rip out all of the contents of the book, the text and chapters of the book are still there but you have no way of telling which page anything is on. There are programs out there that will go through your hard drive and see if it can find any contents and try to "rebuild" the partition, basically allowing you to re-access the files. I've never been able to find a freeware app that would do this, but there are many good ones out there for less than $50.

What I would do is google "file recovery" or "disk recovery" and find a good program. a lot of them let you run a trail version to see what all files it can find and then you pay the $$ if you want to recover more than 2 or 3 files. Move the recovered files to another location and then blow out the partition and start over on the drive.

Don't worry, we've all gone though this once or twice...just don't forget next time you want to do anything with the partiton....BACKUP anything important! :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts