cpu problem or not?

• liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman
  • Loc: England, Hartlepool, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi all, first i think this is the right section.

my computer when I first got it (last winter) was virtually silent, to the point where you could not tell it was turned on.

now it is really loud, I can hear it if I go and sit downstairs lol which is getting rather annoying for anyone downstairs.

I have cleaned it out the other week, and also cleaned it out again today, and made sure everything is in place correctly, it seems less loud now but still a lot louder than when I first got it.

I also downloaded a program to check things called hmonitor, and it highlights my cpu, take a look at this picture...

Shot at 2007-08-01

I am not sure how to fix this if it is an issue, obviously do not want cpu problems or overheating problems but I am not too experienced with the hardware side of things (i did build the computer myself though so I know a fair bit).

also the running speed and the performance of my computer has remained great regardless of the noise level.

cheers for any help

Kev
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The noise could be credited to fans. Replacing them isn't expensive and you may want to look at the fans that are rated to be extremely quiet. Noise could also be coming from your hard drives. As for CPU temps you need to checkout your heat sink fan and maybe invest in a top of the line one. You could also pop the processor out and clean off the thermal paste and reapply thermal paste. I prefer Arctic Silver. I had an over heating problem about a year ago and that was the culprit.
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
The noise could be credited to fans. Replacing them isn't expensive and you may want to look at the fans that are rated to be extremely quiet. Noise could also be coming from your hard drives. As for CPU temps you need to checkout your heat sink fan and maybe invest in a top of the line one. You could also pop the processor out and clean off the thermal paste and reapply thermal paste. I prefer Arctic Silver. I had an over heating problem about a year ago and that was the culprit.

thanks, i remember it was a right pain to get the fan on, but if it would help I might do this, the fan is just what came with the processor so i donno how good it is, i do have a spare fan because I didn't realize i got one with the processor lol.

I dont think its overheating, i dont notice it anyways, but that screenshot makes it look like its overheating, hmm, cheers for the help, if you dont hear from me i have failed to get the fan back on :P
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Usually the fans over time will make more noise then they are brand new. If you can find out the socket on your processer i could direct you to this website that i use for modding and they have a bunch of cooling options.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like the fans are trying to compensate for a really hot CPU, which is probably in need of a repasting (with thermal paste) of course.

As Grinch mentioned, you could always invest in some nice silent powerful fans for the case.
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

demonmaestro wrote:
Usually the fans over time will make more noise then they are brand new. If you can find out the socket on your processer i could direct you to this website that i use for modding and they have a bunch of cooling options.

thanks for the replies guys, and in reply to this, it's a socket 775

"Intel Pentium D, 945, Socket 775, Presler Core, 2x3.4 GHz, 2x 2MB Cache, Retail"

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductI ... tID=432799

that's a link to my actual processor, it came with a fan too. Hope this helps.
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

just quick update, replaced my fan with a spare one I had, the computer is a lot less noisy now, sounds great! like it was when I first got it and is running great too sept the program still shows my cpu temp in yellow will this damage it or is 50 ish an ok temperature?
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's still kinda hot. But like we said, you could replace the thermal paste that is on your cpu which would cool it down a bit.
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Merlyn wrote:
That's still kinda hot. But like we said, you could replace the thermal paste that is on your cpu which would cool it down a bit.

the new fan has paste on it, and when i put it over the processor it also got onto that, is that the same thing or would this not count?

also I have some vga cooling paste in my draw would it be ok to use that one or do I need specific cpu paste?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it was the stock paste that came with the fan I would ditch it. Buy yourself a tube of Arctic Silver and apply that instead.
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
If it was the stock paste that came with the fan I would ditch it. Buy yourself a tube of Arctic Silver and apply that instead.

ok, thanks guys, it's currently not overheating unless I start playing a game then it highlights yellow again.

I am actually thinking of buying a new case, one with fans in as the only cooling I have is the fan on the cpu, graphics card and psu.

cheers for the help

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts