CPU Testing

• seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been suspecting some kind of problem with my X2 4400+ since some hardware problems that caused a self destruct of a previous setup of my system a few months ago, but I sent the processor to AMD for testing and they claimed that it was okay (however, they returned it to me with a bent pin which I had to straighten).

I just did an installation of SuSe 10.2 which had a new feature on the CD menu for testing hardware firmware. I tried it just to see what would happen. It listed several problems, but the one that stuck out was one saying that the frequency scaling of the processor was not what it was supposed to be. I saved that report to a floppy, but since I ran into other problems installing SuSe, I tried to read the floppy from x64, but it refused because of some kind of incompatability.

I know of a number of Windows diagnostic programs, but none which would run this kind of test...is there one?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

• seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the link, l'm downloading a couple of those testers now. I hope at least one of them gives me something that will pin this down. I ran Sandra, and it gives alot of information, but too much that I'm not certain of the significance of. It had several items that had red Xs, but most I did not understand. The one that stood out was HTT, which my processor certainly is supposed to have. The thing that throws me is that the motherboard and CPU work so closely together, that it isn't easy to be sure if a problem belongs to one or the other?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe if you post the results here somebody could help you? Just a thought.
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't mind posting, but I'm not sure what to post. Even the register dump from CPU-Z is probably larger than would be allowed in one post, and there are alot of other diagnostics that could also be posted. The thread would be so long that I doubt that anyone would have the patience to read all of it...that's also a bit of my own problem.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol ok. I'll install one of those things. Give it a trial and see what you mean. And if I can, I can tell you what to look for :D
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't go to too much trouble, because since the last time that I posted, I ran a utility on the Ultimate Boot Disk (can't remember the name), and it made it appear that the CPU is okay. At least it benchmarked it at the top of it's scale. I'm not too sure what that means, because the only CPUs that it gave to compare against were very old models. The best that I recall, it rated it at 3719, which I assume is megahertz. Then again, the actual speed is only 2.2 GHz, but according to AMD it is supposed to be comparable to 4400+, therefore I don't know if it is high or low? The same utility also benchmarked the RAM and harddrives, but again I wasn't too sure about their values either.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, if you download Hot CPU Tester, you would probably look at the following.

Test Started at: 19:13:09
Test Duration: 00:08:32
Physical Processors Available: 1
Logical Processors Available: 1
Multi-Processors System(SMP): Not Available
Hyper-Threading Technology: Not Available
CPU Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
Speed: 1199MHz
Logical Processors Tested: CPU 0
Average CPU(s) Performance: 100.3%
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just finished the 6 hour diagnostic on Hot CPU, and the only thing useful that it showed was that it agreed with SuSe's firmware diagnostic that HTT is not available. Since both my motherboard and this processor are both supposed to have this feature, it is obvious that something is awry. The BIOS settings are 200 for the frequency with choices between 200 and 1000. Dynamic Overclocking - disabled. Adjust CPU Ratio - Auto, with choices between x4 800MHz and x18 3600MHz. AGP Frequency Sync With CPU -enabled. HT Voltage 1.38 volts, with choices 1.26 and1.32 volts. Memory voltage 2.70. CPU Voltage +8.0%. AGP Voltage -1.70. The latter three items are yellowed and can't be changed...at least I wouldn't know how.

The output from Hot CPU is:

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 06:59:51
Diagnostic Report
---------------------------------------------
Test Started at: 00:54:03
Test Duration: 06:00:04
Physical Processors Available: 2
Logical Processors Available: 2
Multi-Processors System(SMP): Available
Hyper-Threading Technology: Not Available
CPU Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
Speed: 2199MHz
Logical Processors Tested: CPU 0, CPU 1
Average CPU(s) Performance: 100.0%

Modules Results:
Complex Matrix: Finished without error
Calculating Pi: Finished without error
Sorting Algorithms: Finished without error
Prime Test: Finished without error
Fast Fourier Transforms:
Chipset:
L1 Cache:
L2 Cache:
Memory: Finished without error
HD: Finished without error
MMX: Finished without error
SSE:
SSE2/SSE3:
3DNow!:

What I'm most concerned about at the moment, is how do I determine the situation for HTT? Also, Hot CPU and CPU-Z disagree about the CPU's stepping, the latter says that it is 2 and the former says 3.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts