CPU + no thermalpaste = Kaput?

• limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there,

well i'm kinda scared about my cpu going kaput because I did not apply thermalpaste to my cpu-heatsink gap. I though that since AMD did not provide any thermalpaste it was not necessary. Unfortunately for me I read the "please read this first" collumn in the CPU manuals ONE month later and found out that one of the mantra's of the AMD instuctions is to apply thermalpaste to ALL AMD CPUs.

My computer has been working fine but i'm affraid it will give up the ghost pretty soon.

Do you guys think that I should open up my heatsink + fan and apply thermalpaste to the cpu? If so how do I do that? Will opening up the CPU cause irreversible damage, do I need to go through DOS or BIOS?

Please HELP!

To Be Or Not To Be Dead CPU Owner Walking. That Is The Question.

Thanks,
Limbuskhan
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

with amd, its kind of hard to tell if its allright to apply thermal paste. everyone does it, but there is a rampant rumor that amd voids your warranty if you put thermal paste on their cpus.

generally, its a good idea to put paste on, but sometimes [especially with conflicting information like this] people dont. i however did apply thermal paste because my processor was an oem and was covered by the e-tailer i bought it from and their terms state nothing about thermal paste voiding the warranty.

applying thermal paste is a pretty simple process. here is a great guide on how to apply the thermal paste [complete with pictures! woot]

to prepare the cpu is quite simple. just turn of the computer, unplug it, let it sit for a while, remove the cpu and fan, follow the instruction provided.
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

I called up the retailer of my cpu and he said that there was already thermal paste applied to the bottom of the heatsink. Is this a lie, I mean I looked at the bottom of the heatsink and saw nothing...
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get speedfan and check your CPU temp.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
  • Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda
  • Loc: Dobins recovery facility Atlanta GA. USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you didn't see thermal paste then there probably was none. They lie to you so you wont ask for a refund, and about AMD not accepting warranty after thermal paste application its true, or at least it was for me, they said that the warranty states any modification voids a claim, 30 bucks for a warranty down the drain.

But back to your problem, check the temperature if its more than 200+ degrees then sorry bud your cpu could be in sorry shape real soon, they usual say that they are rated up to about 250 degrees but they can burn out as low as 190 (if your unlucky like me) but Think.Correctly's advice was good.

Put some paste on, attach the heat sink, and hope for the best.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

get thermal pads not the paste.
take a look at this video.. (open in ie)
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content ... 5-high.wmv
  • Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have heard that they dont make as good of a conductive medium as paste, and you can't take them off if you get a new heat sink, but thats just what i heard.

I have a question though, My brother gave me a Zalman heatsink its real big and circular, and has a relatively small fan, Mines sort of a home made sink+fan, using a stock intel heatsink and large fan, Would somebody recomend me use the zalman or just keep the one i have, it works well, but i have had some issues with over heating in the past.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

Benda wrote:
I have heard that they dont make as good of a conductive medium as paste, and you can't take them off if you get a new heat sink, but thats just what i heard.

I have a question though, My brother gave me a Zalman heatsink its real big and circular, and has a relatively small fan, Mines sort of a home made sink+fan, using a stock intel heatsink and large fan, Would somebody recomend me use the zalman or just keep the one i have, it works well, but i have had some issues with over heating in the past.

well if you seen that video that i posted then you would know the paste is not for long term.. and i think the stock heatsink is best and works best..
  • Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good, I don't want to go through the hastle of changing it, but I dont think the fan I used is getting enough power, its not ment for computer use its sort of a high rpm electric motor with a fan atached, I have it jerry rigged to work with a standard motherboard power connection, does anyone know a good way to run a power connect through to the fan other than drilling a hole into my case to run a wire through?

Im kinda of worried about it bleeding emi as well, if anyone can give me some feed back that would be cool.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

It could be doing some damage if its attached to your motherboard because those connections on the motherboard are only really meant to supply 12v of power to a fan. What socket is your processor and ill try and find you a good replacement.
  • Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well its just a normal 3 prong power plug, if you need specifics beyound that then I'll have to go look them up, if this helps its gigabyte GA-8N-SLI model motherboard.

Appreciate the help, I know its difficult trying to help idiots. Like me.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

From looking around I think you have a pentium 4, is that correct?
  • Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes sir.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

This should do you nicely then.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103157
  • Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda

Post 3+ Months Ago

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH.

I don't think that zalman will work without the connectors, and this fits right into my budget perfectly. You have no idea how I appreciate you finding that for me, I hate having to look stuff up and do research.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its alright, im glad I can help.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts