Dead ethernet controller (laptop)

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I woke up today my laptop was at the Windows XP login screen, when I know for sure I left it at the desktop last nite.

I discovered I had no ethernet connection when I logged in.
I rebooted, no ethernet.
Tried a different cable, alternate router ports, no ethernet.

I put in a PCMCIA ethernet card from my old laptop using the existing cable & port & now I have ethernet.
When I did this, I noticed there's no light on the laptops built-in ethernet port when there should be one.

I've been told that there was a storm & lightning crashed near enough that it sounded like a gunshot right outside the window when I was sleeping. (I could sleep on stage during a rock concert...)

I don't think lightning is the culprit since neither the other computer connected to this router, or the router itself seems to be effected.

Comparing the logs from the laptop & the other computer, the laptop rebooted around 2PM, but the only thing to happen on the other computers log within two hours either way from then was CRON jobs.

Now this laptop is nearly 2 years old now & gets ALOT of network usage, I've moved all HTTP server (test) activity to the other computer so network usage has increased in the last month.
I'm entertaining the idea that either the controller reached the end of its' lifecycle, or possibly there was a small surge that killed the already frail controller.

I'm almost positive the built-in ethernet controller is dead, but the reboot troubles me, is a reboot somthing that should happen if the ethernet controller fails while the laptop is sitting idle at the desktop ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, Windows XP still looks at the device like it's there but just doesn't have an ethernet cord attached, which seems strange if the device is dead. :scratchhead:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts