PC Dead - MoBo or PSU?

• Code_alchemist
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Code_alchemist
  • Loc: Manchester

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cant talk long, my laptops about to die (no charger)

Had this problem for ages, it's been growing and now finally wont start at all.

The Green light is on on my MoBo, but when the two connectors to power the computer on are connected (via metal or just the PC-ON Switch) It wont start.

The MoBo is an ASUS P5B-MX

The PSU is VERY old. Made in 2003.

Think is the MoBo or PSU?

Will be keeping an eye on this via my phone.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• HoustonIT
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • HoustonIT

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's hard to say, but I would probably try a PS first. You could also take it to a shop that does free estimates and have them test your PS as well.
  • lindsay
  • Student
  • Student
  • lindsay

Post 3+ Months Ago

when you press the computer start button . if the processor starts than the problem should be in the hard disk or the motherboard IDE connectors . IDE connectors can not connect the hard disk.
check the power supply could be the problem in the power supply as in the smps.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

do any of the fans turn on? (notably the cpu fan)
if absolutely nothing happens then it could be either your motherboard or your psu, there is no way for us to know.
ie, your psu could be unable to supply the required amount of power for a boot, but enough for the green light. or part of your motherboard could be broken. it could be as simple as a snapped/broken line from the power pins, or something more complicated like a damaged transistor or microchip. try borrowing a power supply from someone else
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bozebo wrote:
do any of the fans turn on? (notably the cpu fan)
if absolutely nothing happens then it could be either your motherboard or your psu, there is no way for us to know.
ie, your psu could be unable to supply the required amount of power for a boot, but enough for the green light. or part of your motherboard could be broken. it could be as simple as a snapped/broken line from the power pins, or something more complicated like a damaged transistor or microchip. try borrowing a power supply from someone else

Could not have said it better. Luckily you can narrow the problem down rather quickly if you have access to another Power Supply. If no fans are turning on, Definitely swap out the power supply for another power supply that you know is working (Preferably one with more wattage than the one you are currently using). If that doesn't work then you know that the problem lies within the motherboard.
  • awatson
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • awatson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or you could test the PS with another mobo, although I guess you're less likely to have an extra one of those laying around :)

I guess another clue would be if the PS fan doesn't turn on.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts