Dead Psu

• surfninja

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya, so maybe my psu wasnt big enough for my computer or soemthing, i don't know, but after 2 years its dead, atleast thats what i think it is, im really hoping its not my mobo.

when i plug the computer in, all the lights flash, and no fans power up.

just flashing lights.

the power switch doesnt do anything

HELP :-D!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

A power supply can't really be too small for a system (unless you have a special form factor motherboard) your PSU might have died from a powersurge.

I have a computer with a power supply that's been running from 1998 so age doesn't really affect it (unless we're talking about decades)

Your best bet would be to get a another PSU and plug it in to see if it works.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

That doesn't constitute a dead PSU because power is still being delivered to the motherboard and components.

First of all, make sure your cables are all plugged in securely. If the computer still wont come to life I would try a different PSU (borrow a friends) and see if it makes a difference.

If it does work, throw yours back in and try again to be SURE that the cables were all set up correctly. If yours still is a no go then you need to check if the tester PSU is a higher wattage. If it is I suggest getting a PSU of the same or greater wattage as theirs to be SURE that it works.
If it still doesn't work you will need to take all of the parts out of your computer and try to boot them out of the case. BE CAREFUL AS THIS WILL EXPOSE PARTS THAT CAN POSSIBLY ELECTIRCALLY SHOCK YOU! Lay out all of the parts on a fire resistant surface like cement or finished hardwood floors. Glass tables are great too. What you are doing it testing to see if there was a possible short within the case. If your computer will start out of case then you need to make sure that you cover any metal that your motherboard may be touching on the case. This will cause exactly what you said is happening!

Hope this helps you!
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, by the way Xel02, a PSU can be too small for a system in terms of wattage and/or the number of cables coming from it. A 200 watt PSU wouldn't even run my computer that has 2 7600RPM drives, a 6800GT OC, 2 CD Drives, 5 fans, and 3 other filled PCI slots. I am running a 480-watt PSU, which is hardly enough for a 6800GT Ultra!

Just thought I would let everyone, including you, know this. :)
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Truce, I meant sizewise and not power wise. That's what I thought he was referring to.

I stand corrected on the dead PSU though. I didn't see the last part about the flashing lights. However I would still try a different PSU just in case. It could easily be a case of a flaky PSU that is sending power in spurts.

However the chance that it was a short caused my the MOBO is a bit unlikely considering that it's been running for two years. And I've never heard of chip creep causing a MOBO to short, but I guess anything is possible.

Although if it was dropped or shifted a lot recently then that might cause it, but the poster never mentioned that.

Good luck.

Note. If you do intend to take out all your parts to check for a short, it would be a good idea to get an anti-static wrist strap.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

He might have changed something but not mentioned it because he thought it was the PSU.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bought one of the best PSU's out there and had surge supression and line conditioning on the power and guess what happened.. it literally blew up.. I replaced it but, every once and a while, if i'm working on my computer I'll find a small piece of power supply, lol.
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your kidding! What the heck did you do set the voltage wrong?
How's the rest of the computer if the PSU blew up?

I've fried a few things but I've never actually blown anything. Kudos to you darkermoon.
  • surfninja

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont get it tho, i mean i built it from the ground up, and then out of nowhere now my lcd dies, and my psu (i guess) dies, it has to have been a surge... its in a surge protector tho, and nothing happened when it happened. just i turned it off and the lights started blinking. it was so random.

im really hoping the whole mobo didnt just die.
  • surfninja

Post 3+ Months Ago

heres the specs if you want them

2 2.8 ghz xeons
1 gig ram
2 10,000 rpm scsis with 2 coolers on a raid 0 setup

2 ide hds
platinum whatever soundblaster card
9800 aiw radeon

i cant remember everthing off the top of my head, but those are the basics.

heavy load :-p
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your LCD died at the same time that would indicate some sort of power failure.

When this happened did it shut itself down? And did anything else in the house shutdown? Maybe you noticed some lights got brigher or something?

As for a PSU, you'll definitely need a powerful one, I didn't expect your specs to be that high, since you were talking about a 2 year old computer.

Just going with what Truce said, have you moved the computer lately?

I think the best way to go about it now is to replace the PSU and see what happens. If it's a PSU problem its solved, if its a grounding problem you'll have a lot more work to do.

Also can you tell us what lights are flashing?

Good luck.
  • surfninja

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm well, i mean, i did move it from michigan to florida...

but that was 7 months ago, and the monitor didnt die right when the other did, it was 2 weeks before. and when the comp died, it was completely normal, i shut it down.

the lights that blink are the front panel's

the sound card's the video editing card (dvstorm2 pro)

and like the cd drive's lights

and it kind of clicks like

click click click

then i unplug the cord from the back of the comp and it (obviously) stops
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you see where the clicking sound is coming from? If it's coming from a PSU it often indicates that its about to die or is dead.

I had a similar problem with a computer a friend gave me to fix. The front panel light was flashing and the PSU was clicking. I found that both of them were dead.

First unplug all the peripherals like the HDD and CD drive, floppy and so on. The only thing that should be connected to the PSU is the motherboard.

After that try listening and see where its coming from, another thing to do is unplug the PSU from the motherboard and plug it in. If it clicks then you know its obviously from the PSU.

Good luck.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow.....2 10,000 RPM drives! You should get a second PSU to help the extra juices flow. You have to get one that is made for secondary use though!
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Xel02 wrote:
Your kidding! What the heck did you do set the voltage wrong?
How's the rest of the computer if the PSU blew up?

I've fried a few things but I've never actually blown anything. Kudos to you darkermoon.

no, voltage and everything was right.. I think I'm just talented :twisted: .. umm, everything else in my computer was fine somehow.. there were just bits of this half-burnt paper casing stuff all over the place. I know 3/4 of the people on here probably don't believe me but, it really happened. Cost me $150 too... :evil:
  • surfninja

Post 3+ Months Ago

lalaal i still havent fixed it lalala
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried replacing the PSU?
  • surfninja

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok new update, 4 lights on the mother board labeled d1 d2 d3 d4 are blinking and i still don't know what the clicking is.

it turns out that the fans actually are spinning, but very very slow.

so it looks like it wants power, but the supply is giving it in short bursts.

is this poissible?
  • surfninja

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270306

how does that power supply look for my system?

i feel effing retarded... but... haha... my psu right now is only 460 O_O

i am a retard
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

At 460W you definitely need a stronger PSU for your system.

I don't have much experience with SCSI or dual Xeon's and how much power they need, but the 660W would be a definite improvement.

If you can't get anything else I would at least get the 660W.

I'll see if I can find anything on your lights but it would help if you told us your Motherboard specs, like manufacturer and chipset.
  • surfninja

Post 3+ Months Ago

the motherboard is the x5da8 from supermicro. chipset is e7505

hey, anybody know what a good cpu fan/cooler heatsink thingy for xeons is? i don't know if u can use the same ones from p4s
  • surfninja

Post 3+ Months Ago

and i found that the lights dont mean anything, ALL of the LEDs EVERYWHERE are blinking :-\
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get the new PSU and try it. Is this a server we are talking about? It looks like it, and if so then it should have a warranty on it. I know you didn't build it yourself, so take it back to where you got it or give them a call. Usually there will be other ppl with the same problem so the company has them waiting to ship.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

surfninja wrote:
i dont get it tho, i mean i built it from the ground up, and then out of nowhere now my lcd dies, and my psu (i guess) dies, it has to have been a surge... its in a surge protector tho, and nothing happened when it happened. just i turned it off and the lights started blinking. it was so random.

im really hoping the whole mobo didnt just die.

and also, it seems that 660 would be more than enough, I mean, in my opinion probably overkill. I had an old dell dataserver with 6 scsi hard drives at 10,000 RPM and it had I think dual (only to be redundant) 550 watt PSUs...
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
That doesn't constitute a dead PSU because power is still being delivered to the motherboard and components.

That’s not true! Your thinking of a blown fuse (maybe inside the PSU)! A power supply can go bad and only power up half way or just start restarting the computer after a few seconds or until a big component starts to draw power.
  • surfninja

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
Get the new PSU and try it. Is this a server we are talking about? It looks like it, and if so then it should have a warranty on it. I know you didn't build it yourself, so take it back to where you got it or give them a call. Usually there will be other ppl with the same problem so the company has them waiting to ship.

i did build it myself, and its a 3d/video computer
  • surfninja

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan007 wrote:
Truce wrote:

That’s not true! Your thinking of a blown fuse (maybe inside the PSU)! A power supply can go bad and only power up half way or just start restarting the computer after a few seconds or until a big component starts to draw power.

well i did a voltimeter test and its getting the 5volt stand by current. but ya, i don't know how to test if it will give me full current :(

i unplugged some stuff, and it seems as if the more stuff unplugged, the more the fans spin, so maybe it is a bad power supply and its just leaking power and not enough to start up. I dont really wanna get a new power supply untill im positive thats the problem, because quite frankly, theyre like $300, and its a pain to send back to zipzoomfly or whoever.
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

To test Molex. (The ones that plug into the HDD or CD-drives.)
1.Plug the Red lead into a red wire socket of a molex connector, and a black lead into one of the black wire sockets. You should get ~5V

2.Plug the red lead into the yellow one and you should get ~12V.

I'll write up how to test the P1 when I get a bit more time its just a bit more work. Try the molex first.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are luckly enough to have access to an o-scope, you might look at the AC ripple coming out of your power supply too. You may be gettting +5V out of your red wire, but it may be a really dirty +5v. Computers like nice, smooth DC and if it is a cheap power supply they might have cut some corners like putting in smaller filter capacitors than what is required.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

surfninja wrote:
new power supply untill im positive thats the problem, because quite frankly, theyre like $300, and its a pain to send back to zipzoomfly or whoever.

I had $300 PSU and it broke.

I then got $20 (£11.50) PSU and it works really well. 500w. The most Silent too. But it was in the UK...

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... _uid=61308

I know most people say get an expensive PSU but trust me it’s b.s. Just get a cheap PSU without it being "Gold" or "Dual Fan" or "Silent Solution"... its good to have a spare anyway.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 32 posts