Delete partition, please HELP

• ericpham388
  • ericpham388

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dear Friends,

I try to look for answer from others posted but wasn't really find it. The problem I have is that the hard drive got 3 partitions: C (4 g) , E ( 26 g) , D ( 50g). I just want to have 2 partitions, 1 for O/S and 1 for data. I tried Partition Magic and this is what I found: disc 1 has C drive, and disc 2 have D & E drives, so PM won't allow me to combine E to C ( which is what I want ), it just like there are seperate hard drive which can not be crossover!

I formatted the HD and tried to install O/S on E, but XP doesn't allow me, and I can only install on C which I did, but with only 0.4G left after XP been installed, I am certain that I can't re-install all my programs.

Thanks in advance for all yours help, All the best my friends.:help:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

So what you are saying is now you have a C: drive which is 4GB in size and you have a second partition which is 76GB in size or is that one still split into a 26GB partition and a 50GB partition?

The problem is you are trying to modify your boot partition which is C:. There may be a program that will allow you to extend your boot partition but I cannot think of what it is. Your best bet is to format the entire drive removing all partitions and then repartition it to the sizes you would like. 4GB is no where near enough space for XP and all of the updates.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

As grinch2171 said, you are trying to modify your boot partition being (by default) C:

I think it would be easier to just use either the windows cd or another program like partition magic to just delete the two partitions and then combine /separate them the way that you want.
  • ericpham388
  • ericpham388

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you guys, I will try and hope it work. And by the way, if i got 2 partitions on 1 HD, can virus/spyware infect both of them?
  • ericpham388
  • ericpham388

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried with Partition Magic (PM) to delete the 2 partitions and combine that free space to drive C, but it seem not to be possible. Can someone please help.
The problem I think is that on my HD shown 2 seperate disks (base on PM), so the program does not allow me to combine them, or even merge.
What do i need to do?
Do I need to install 2 O/S to solve the problem?
My total HD is 80G, after delete the partitions, now I'm left with:
Disk 1 - label C = 4G
Disk 2 - label D = 76G
Hope this make the question more clear!
Thanks in advance for all your help
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are not understanding the simple fact that you cannot modify your boot partition which in this case is your C: drive. The only way to fix this is to completely format everything and start over.
  • ericpham388
  • ericpham388

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply grinch2171 , I am not sure how to completely format to make it into 1 partition! I am willing to start over again. Can you kindly show me how.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

When you get to this screen

You will have your C: and D: drive listed. You will need to delete those by highlighting them and pressing the 'D' key.
  • ericpham388
  • ericpham388

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for all your help.
By the way, if the PC is infected with virus, do they spread only in 1 partition or all the partition?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It could spread to all of them depending on the virus and what it is intended to do.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts