dell dimension 3000 power supply

• rshh
  • Born
  • Born
  • rshh

Post 3+ Months Ago

can i upgrade he power supply in my dell dimension 3000? i have the standard 250 watt, and i feel i should put more power into it since i added an extra hard drive, a gig of memory, video card, a pci usb 2.0 card, and am currently connected to a wireless broadband router. also i put a dvd writer in it. what kind of power supply should i use. I called Dell and they told me i couldn't upgrade the power supply because the one thats in it is specific to the motherboard, and a new one might render it useless. does anyone have any answers or opinions? thanks for your help
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can upgrade anything you like as lomg as it has the right volts with most have the same. juat ask at a store where they sell PS.. any PS made for a atx mobo should work fine
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

cowkiller's right. any atx psu should work as long as the voltages are right. if you dont feel comfortable poking around in your computer, just mosey on down to your local [preferably mom n' pop shop] and tell them you want a new psu put in. i wouldnt take anything from dell support without a grain of salt, as they frequently tell you "it's broken, buy another one[they're graded on how many they sell, how much profit they turn, etc...]. i was going to bring up the issue of dell using proprietary psu [actually pcp&c and having odd cables] but that is only in the newer xps's and the new btx form-factor computers. i assume your computer is from '03,'04 and therefore, that shouldnt be an issue
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.PCPowerCooling.com
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try this: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

And see where you sit. You may be fine with what you have. I am running a file server with 4 hard drives, RAID controllers, and some other goodies and it is pulling under 250W - verified with an ammeter.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

or here

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts