Dell Dimension 4400 Motherboard fried, replacement?

• temak82
  • Born
  • Born
  • temak82

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I haven't called the Dell spare parts dept yet since it's Sunday, but found a post where a user experienced the same exact issue as myself. I saw that they spoke with Dell and the 4400 motherboards are no longer available. I'll find out tomorrow for sure.

In the meantime, I'm looking for a new board that can work with my desktop. The one I have is a socket 478 based on 845D chipset for ddr ram. Has 4 pci slots with 1 APG slot.

Any ideas on what I could get to see if it will work?

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Call Tiger Direct, New Egg or one of the other supply houses and tell them what you have. They will know exactly what replacement you can use. The thing is, that you have to make sure that you can use your current processor and memory. Otherwise, buy a bundled kit which would include the mother board, processor and memory. I usually buy the bundled kits.
  • temak82
  • Born
  • Born
  • temak82

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don, thanks a ton for your reply. I did manage to find the exact spare part I need (6P708 I think it was) after doing some searching. The thing is, the mobo is $200! I couldn't believe it. I thought it'd be $100 or $130 at most.

I just went ahead and purchased an Inspiron 531 for $379 from Dell without a monitor. That system is much better and it's almost not worth spending the $200 on a mobo for a computer that's 8 years old.

Now the only thing I'm wondering is if the RAM and the HDs I got for this old machine will work with the new one.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're right about not spending that money on an 8 year old PC. Look at the specifications for both mother boards to see if the RAM will work. The HD shouldn't be a problem.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts