Dell Inspiron 8400 powers off ramdomly, blinking amber light

• jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo
  • Loc: Denver

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Ozzu,

I've got a terrible problem with not one, but TWO Dell Inspiron 8400 CPU's. I'm afraid this problem is beyond the Dell tech support and their knowledge base... I've been on the phone with them for the past MONTH.

Here's my problem: P4 3.4GZ, 1GB ram, 120gb hd. Ran for 1.5 months fine, then started loosing power (like it was hibernating not I've turned hibernate off)(plus I loose any application that might have been open) when it does this... the power switch light blinks amber. I have to hold it down for 5 seconds and then it *maybe* comes back up. Dell, over the course of the past month, has thrown two new PS in it, 2 new mb's, 1 new processor, 1 new i/o board, new RAM and a new power cord. Problem still occurred. Dell then sent me a new box... the new box has been in place for 1 day, and is also displaying the SAME exact problem.

Things I've done: checked my line... appears clean according to the line monitor, had the cpu plugged into a ups, took it completely off that and on a different circuit in my house, no fixie... it does this when cold, or warmed up, it does this even running in the bios, I've disabled CD's, HD, audio card, and just brought the box up on bios, and it's still done it.

HELP... has anyone heard of any other Dell Inspiron 8400's, with this same problem?! Dell is very unwilling (for obvious reasons) to tell me anything of such. This is a work PC and I need it fixed. Anyone got any other ideas as to what might be the problem... I need to try something new here.

I'm listening.................

tx for your help!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe try taking the pc to a friend's place and see what it does. The fact that two new (or newer) machines are having the exact same problem leads me to think that its a problem with interference in your home. If both computers have the same problems at a friend's place then I would have Dell send me a third pc.

It sounds like you have tried every conventional solution with no success. There may be some kind of unconventional interference happening here, and the only way to tell is to test the pc somewhere else.
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo
  • Loc: Denver

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tx, that's a good idea... it's my only option, I think, at this point... I've tried everything else! I'm taking both computers away from here, to a different location in the city. I'll let you know what happens!
  • sandman6471
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sandman6471
  • Loc: In My Dreams

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a "Dell". What would you expect............... :shock:
  • Uncle_Slappy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: McMinnville, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

Off hand I would say that you are having thermal issues...except for the fact that the box does this when cold.

Is the box closed up in a desk?

The only other possibility is that Dell is running a bad string of MOBO's and you just happened to get 2 of them...in a row.

Advice...if you must purchase a Dell, get an Optiplex. Those are the middle road boxes that they put into the market so the parts are a little higher quality.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts