Dell Inspiron 8600 display issue

• demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a customers dell inspiron 8600 laptop and just formatted it and reinstalled xp and got it all updated and patched. All was good and I had shut it down for the night and went to boot it back up the following day to install an anti-virus software on it and all I get is a black screen for alittle then half the screen is blue and the other half is black. Could it be the video card gone bad? (The video cards can be changed) Also it has an issue with the sound not playing out of the speakers. I look in the device manager and nothing has a "?" around it or anything so I am lost on that.

Thanks for the help.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you first start up the computer, does it immediately look like this? Or do you see text as normal during the bootup process?
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I turn on the computer nothing comes on the screen it dont even turn on. I don't even see the Dell start up screen or the windows booting screen. Then it comes on eventually to this screen.

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

The interesting part of that is it looks like the same blue gradient that you would expect from the windows Login screen, so it does seem like something may be messed up with the video card or the resolution or something. Are you sure you didn't mess with any settings, anything that could effect the display before you turned it off?

Are you able to plug this laptop into an external monitor?
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea and absolutely nothing happens.. I am thinking the video card is shot. :/ I hope that is the issue. I don't want to dump too much money into it because I am taking it as a loss. This sucks when stuff like this happens when its in "your care". Because now I look like I broke it. :'(
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I doubt there is anything you could have done on your end by reinstalling that would have caused that, but the fact it happened on your watch, doesn't look good as far as you customer will probably be concerned.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I cannot think of anything that I did either That is the issue. So I need to find a video card for it being that they are replaceable. I guess. Any other ideas?

I got a new video card coming. It will be here either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Bty. He just gave me the laptop and said to clean it up and format it if have to. So I formatted it thinking it would be easyer. Although he never asked me how much nore how much do I think it would cost. What is a general number?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just depends I guess. I personally would charge for the cost of the video card plus your time, and explain to him how the video card was faulty. Hopefully that is the problem.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's just it. How much for time?
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

erm okay im officially lost. I took the whole damn laptop apart litterly and put it all back together and now the video card works... LMAO. defently a head scratcher. leave it up to a dell. They are just as bad as a ford. lol
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe some dust got in some sockets? I have had issues before and taking it apart and putting it back together sometimes does resolve it. Glad you figured it out!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts