Dell Latitude D600 dead.what's up?

• Dennis McLaughlin
  • Born
  • Born
  • Dennis McLaughlin
  • Loc: Annandale, VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My Latitude D600 turned itself off suddenly, after running perfectly, and now it does nothing when I press the power button. It didn't seem like it was running hot. The battery is fully charged, and I have it plugged into a power adapter whose light is on. When I plug it into the docking station and press either power button (the one on the docker or the one on the laptop), the docker power button (only) glows green for about 5 seconds then turns off.

Help anyone?
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

bad power supply or battery pack would be my guess.

Since it's a Dell, do you possibly still have warranty?
  • Dennis McLaughlin
  • Born
  • Born
  • Dennis McLaughlin
  • Loc: Annandale, VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agree that it must be something with the internal power supply (vs the external) since I have used two different external power adapters and two different batteries (both with full charge) with the same result. I do have a warranty with the company that sold it to me used, but before I went through that business I wondered whether it's worth trying to open it up and repair something (or replace a fuse?) myself.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dennis McLaughlin wrote:
I do have a warranty with the company that sold it to me used, but before I went through that business I wondered whether it's worth trying to open it up and repair something (or replace a fuse?) myself.

Laptops are a bit trickier as far as repairing them yourself goes. If this were a normal desktop PC I would say it's just a matter of replacing the power supply, but laptops hardware is more integrated and confined/restricted, making it more difficult.

My suggestion is to go ahead with the warranty business, or find someone that knows their stuff in regards to replacing larger parts of laptops.

The only things i've ever replaced in a laptop are: hard drive / lcd / and memory of course. =)[/quote]
  • dsigma6
  • Loc: Philadelphia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are the results the same when powered on with 1) only battery 2) no battery?

This probably won't apply, but perhaps you have overcharged capacitors...Unplug, pull out the battery, and hold down the power button for thirty seconds (longer if it makes you feel better!). Then continue to press it repetitively for a minute or so. Put the battery back in and see if there's a difference.

Sometimes these things get charged up too much after being plugged in too long, or into a screwy power source.
  • livehappy42
  • Born
  • Born
  • livehappy42

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just had the same problem, and mine's totally not under any warranty anymore. Dell says the Mb is $650 and I need to replace it (I paid only $600 on ebay six months ago) One day it was working great, and I charged it on my docking station (Dell brand, been using for months), and now I can't get it to start at all, and it does the same thing as for your adaptors (turns the lights off, both for adaptor and docking station). Battery charge is full and good. I've taken out the drive, mem, and battery and tried to restart, still no luck.

Did you have any luck figuring yours out? Thanks for any advice!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts