dell, hp, models

• susancbk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • susancbk
  • Loc: New York City

Post 3+ Months Ago

between dell and hp , which brand do you prefer? Or suggest another brand.

I was messing around with customizing pcs on both sites- and that brought up another question.

say you have computer model 1000 and computer model 9000...the computer model 1000 obviousely being the lesser model, with less features and cheaper price.
however, on most computer brand sites, they let you customize computers.

so say I take computer model 1000 and beef it up to par with model 9000 (add a faster processor, ram, gigs, etc)...and its still cheaper than the better model- whats the difference? Do higher model pc's have better quality stuff? Does it make a difference?

Also- considering I do a lot of multimedia work- flash, photo editing, web work, some video editing, even maybe some 3d rendering- what specs are more important (ex. is the processor more important than ram, or vice versa)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

No preference. I like them both.

You need RAM for your projects. The more RAM the beter.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

No contest, definitely Dell!

HP are a pain in the whatsit. With Dell you can stick in pretty much any old hardware if you want to upgrade it. With HP, you've got have a specific type of memory (which nobody seems to sell except HP), etc.

Personally though, if you're going to get one machine and upgrade it, you're better off just building your own machine from scratch.

Try Newegg :)

With Multimedia, RAM is the biggest issue. Depending on what type of multimedia, HD space may be the next biggest issue. I say depending on what type, because if you're mastering & authoring DVDs, you're going to need MUCH MUCH more hard drive space than if you're just recording yourself playing a few tunes on the guitar (for example).

When I'm looking to build up a new PC, I buy the best motherboard & processor I can afford. That's most important to me. Then I max out the ram. Look for some good deals on hard drives, then go for the graphics card. Again, if you're doing DVD authoring, 3D, or other visual work, the graphics card may be more important than other factors.

Generally, if I've already got an existing PC (which I always do), I make do with what I've got as I collect components for the new machine. Buy the components one at a time as good deals come up on various sites.
  • susancbk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • susancbk
  • Loc: New York City

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting input. Thanks for the advice.
Is the video card purely for how it looks to me, or does it have to do with the quality of work I can produce?

At this point- building a pc isn't really an option, as tempting as it is.

I've pretty much always had hp's, so I guess I'm partial to them. Aside from propietary issues, axe, do you think dell is a better quality pc? will it perform better? last longer? etc? I don't usually upgrade my pc's so upgrading parts isnt an issue; however replacement parts could be but never has in the past.

Also- random question- with my HPs when I want to reinstall I pop in the restore disc and it practically does the whole thing for me. Recently I was working with a dell and it didn't seem to have that option, and instead seemed to require me to go to the blue screen, format myself, etc... Is this all dells or just the one I was working with?

anyone have any input on the difference between computer model 1000 customized to the same level of computer model 9000 for a cheaper price?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

All video cards these days will display exactly the same thing when it comes to 2D stuff (Photoshop, video files, etc). Their difference comes in their speed & memory capacity - more video memory (along with more system ram) will speed up video editing, and Photoshop work when you have multiple documents open, or large documents open (which you may have if you're dealing with photographs).

The problem with both Dell & HP is that neither have enough memory, by default, for my needs. So I'm always upgrading. I've got 3 HP machines here that are both drastically in need of a memory upgrade. They're both running 128Meg right now (and have been since the day they were bought). Over the past 3-4 years, I've bought memory from countless local stores here, and a couple of places online, and they've always had incompatibilities, never got them to work. But, I take that same ram down to the office (which is nothing but Dell PCs, except for the server I built from components), and the memory worked in every single machine.

As far as Dell longetivy. Aside from the 2 Dell laptops I currently own, the last Dell I bought (a desktop) was delivered to my house in April '94. It was top of the line back then, you couldn't even give it away now, heh. Anyways, it's still up and running and my dad still uses it for his E-Mail & using Micro$oft Word. So, yeah, they last a while :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate to say this, considering who my employer is, but if it's a desktop system -- at least for now -- I would tend to agree with Axe; go with Dell.

They consistently have the best customer service, which is paramount.

Now laptops... well, that's another story. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts