Dell Monitor Problem

• malik641
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Sunny South Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having a problem with my monitor (and Dell in general). The problem is that there is a semi-transparent line that is scrolling down my screen...When I say transparent I mean to say that the line is a shade lighter than the rest of the screen. I can see it best on white screens.

And every once in a while I notice the screen will try to Deguass itself but never fully succeed (and by that I mean it will start to rapidly shrink and recover its original size).

I called Dell and told them about it and since my desktop was still under warranty and first they sent me another monitor...and that one didn't even turn on! It just made some noise like that movie "The Ring" when they watch the tape...Anyway I told them about that and they sent me another one and it still has the same problem....

And I don't know if it's me or not but I also notice that a white screen looks like it's "dirty" like a magnet came near it (but not TOO close because I've seen how a magnet can burn a Cathode Ray screen).

BTW I have a Cathode Ray Monitor and I believe it's a 19" but I'm not sure.

Thanks for ANY advice you may give me.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you are using high resolution with much refresh rate. First update your graphics driver then see in your graphics controller how much refresh rate is suitable for the monitor. You may also reduce the hardware acceleration for the video. Just as an example, you may try to test under 800x600 with 65Hz condition.
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

if there's a magnet near your monitor the nearest part of the screen will be a purple colour.

The line going slowly down the screen from what you described is not the monitors fault but interferance in the power coming into your monitor. Try turning things off that are near the monitor using power and see if the line dissapears.
  • malik641
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Sunny South Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

pramitroy wrote:
I think you are using high resolution with much refresh rate. First update your graphics driver then see in your graphics controller how much refresh rate is suitable for the monitor. You may also reduce the hardware acceleration for the video. Just as an example, you may try to test under 800x600 with 65Hz condition.

Drivers are up-to-date. And switching to 800X600 made it worse, actually...It looked like a wave...or like the screen was shrinking and expanding in sections where the line was traveling.

The1 wrote:
if there's a magnet near your monitor the nearest part of the screen will be a purple colour.

The line going slowly down the screen from what you described is not the monitors fault but interferance in the power coming into your monitor. Try turning things off that are near the monitor using power and see if the line dissapears.

There are no magnets near the computer....and the only other things plugged into the surge protector is a clock, my cell phone charger, the CPU, and the charger to my hair buzzer... :?
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then this is a problem with the monitor from hardware aspect.
Well, I know about Intel graphics controller only. What is that for you? If thats the same do this:

Right-click on a blank space of the desktop > Properties > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshoot > Now you should find hardware acceleration scale. Reduce the acceleration be dragging the pointer. Set your refresh rate to the lowest possible. By this your monitor should flicker a little but not enough to be visible with eyes. That should increase the performance. If nothing helps just talk to Dell and replace the monitor.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

try it on a different computer than you will know if its the monitor or ur pc

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts