Dell ram and building new computer

• limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I am building a new computer but I am not good on the software part of things. How I built my computer was I just jumbled all the parts up, shove the xp cd in and it seemed to work fine until now.

Is that how your suppose to do it...i mean i have been doing it that way for 3 years, do you have to set something in the boot screen. Lol the only thing I do is set the boot priority or something to cd not hard drive.

And can you use other ram brands on a Dell computer besides a Dell ram? Casue my friend advised me against it...this true?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is how it works. You buy all the parts, put them together and then install the operating system which hopefully you purchased as well.

There is nothing special you have to do, there are a lot of things you could do but if it ain't broke why fix it.

I would advise against using non-Dell RAM with Dell RAM. For example you have 512MB of Dell RAM and you want to add 512MB of Corsair RAM. That I wouldn't do. You would be better off throwing the Dell RAM away and then use the other brand RAM.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never mix the ram. But using non-Dell ram in a Dell computer is perfectly fine as long as its compatible with the system. http://www.crucial.com can tell you what Ram you need.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Indeed, it's fine to mix brands of ram, just not the type. Dell went through a phase of using RD (rambus) memory - be careful if this is the case for you.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

even then I would worry about incompatibilities. Honestly it could run perfectly, or it could not run at all. It's a crap shoot, except your gambling with system stability.

When I upgrade memory I replace all the memory and sell the old memory (or use it in another computer)..
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys... hopefully my old generic ram will work on the dell he he; haven't tried yet cause its at my friends place :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts