Dell warning!

• Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure dell computers may cost less than others with the same price.. but at what cost? (that doesnt make much sense...)

No, seriously. dell computers are about 50% more likely to break than other computers, thier components are of the lowest quality.
do not buy a dell unless u have no other option

Heres a poem...

Dell smell
Go ring a bell and yell
You'll go to hell
If you buy a dell
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Didn't you realise 72% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:
Didn't you realise 72% of all statistics are made up on the spot?

Heh ! :wink:
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol

my dell rocks :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dell's are mostly all my company has been buying for the last two and a half years. In fact our server is also a Dell Server Class machine and it's a tank. I have yet to have one of them have a problem that wasn't caused by a user. (not a single hardware failure yet). For that matter I have such a high degree of confidence in them, I don't even buy the extra waranties.
  • darkstar_tfd
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • darkstar_tfd

Post 3+ Months Ago

i don`t think that a dell could disappoint you! many of my friend bought dell and they were very pleased. Actually I saw some statistics ..and dell was quite familliar and evebody seemed to like it.

Good luck
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dell machines are very reliable and there are some very high spec machines avaliable from Dell [ such as the new quad core XCS ]. That said, they are not very upgradable, but that can be said for all pre-built computers.
  • xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Cork, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree. Dell computers are among the best computer provider (In Malaysia). I've been using Fujitsu, Acer, Compaq, NEC and DELL within 10 years and from my experience DELL the best and have been using their desktop for almost two years and never have any hardware problem. I'll say that ACER is the crappiest lol the pc only take a week (after purchasing) before the DVD start not to function properly and then frequent system crash and i have to replace the hard disk and DVD player for the pc.
  • Lizano
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Lizano
  • Loc: San Jose, Costa Rica

Post 3+ Months Ago

My company's provider used to be HP, until last year they switched to Dell, at least 250 Dell computers have been purchased, problems? close to none...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

EVERY Dell I've opened that someone had problems with was CAKED with dust bunnies. I don't think it's the Dells, I think it's the slackers that own thoose particular Dells.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have my issues with Dell. When I was in the Marines, my unit switched to Dell's. I had about 15 power supplies go bad, numerous hard drives crap out and other minor issues. However, I have been working with some really badass Dell Workstations and no problems yet with them.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Custom > Dell ^_^. I do not care for Dell too much. My friend and my brother both have a Dell, and I am constantly having to fix them. Maybe people just need to learn how to take care of their computer? I do not know.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you dont try and do anything beyond a reasonable level on a dell, [i.e:, video editing on a 256, 1.8ghz] they will run. that however, was not eh case for me. i was on that computer running hl2, and fraps at the same time, abusing it as much as i could, and it gave me problem after problem. then i got my beast, and gave the dell to my dad, and aside from royally farking up and requiring a format, its been fine on a steady diet of word processing and email.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dislike Dell because most of them are hard to upgrade and have a lot of onboard stuff, but so do most prebuilts, We use them at work, and I have seen several in my repair business, but based on how many PC's they sell I wouldn't think the failure rate is any higher than anyone else.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

the older dells just sucked and you could not breath or they would brake
now dells made like 3 to 6 years ago always have bad power supplies, the new dells are for the most part just as good as anyother computer you will get for that price. you need to remember you get what you pay for
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My company uses HP's mostly but we are in the process of switching to Dells. My server room alone has 47 Dell's. Either PowerEdge 2650's, 2850's or 6850's. I also have a 15 LUN EMC^2 CLARiiON SAN with >17TB of storage which is also Dell. Personally at my desk I have a Dell Precision 380, Dell Precision 450, Dell Precision 340 x2, HP DC7600, HP TC4200, and a few Compaq Evoslows. I also have been buying up those Dell 1905FP's Ultrasharp LCD monitors like hotcakes.

I have some problems with the dells, but its mostly my own stuff like ripping it apart to upgrade it. OR doing a raid 0 with 10k rpm raptor drives.

The only *real* manufacturer part problem I had is that every OEM Maxtor drive in the Dells have failed within 1 year. All have been replaced and work perfectly. I have one optiplex GX270 that was a controller for a robot go completely dead, but in a lab with DMSO and other nasties flying about, I don't doubt it.
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Dell's are mostly all my company has been buying for the last two and a half years. In fact our server is also a Dell Server Class machine and it's a tank. I have yet to have one of them have a problem that wasn't caused by a user. (not a single hardware failure yet). For that matter I have such a high degree of confidence in them, I don't even buy the extra waranties.

but how long have you used these computers. Dells Suck A$$ for the long term. i have used P2 computers from hp, IBM, E-Machines and many others. but ive attempted to use computers of a higher grade from Dell and the HardDisk and/or Bios are currupt. well thats what i have to say about Dell. the other thing i have against Dell is that they use Intel chips :hmm:
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to my Dell Corporate Sales guy who took me out to lunch today (no joke), they had a problem with the Maxtor drives and they had since stopped using them. Maxtor had denied all liability, but has since "modified" the drives (with a 8% price increase I might add).

As for the BIOS problems, he has never heard of any such complaint. He only oversees Optiplexs, Precisions and PowerEdges so that might be out of his area. As far as I am concerned, I'll buy Dell. I may be biased (or bribed). The possibility of me getting a new dual proc, dual core Precision with a nice 30" flatscreen certainly makes me happy. That sucker is definitely getting 4 36GB 15k rpm Fiber Channel drives in raid 6.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

lemiwinks1 wrote:
ATNO/TW wrote:

but how long have you used these computers. Dells Suck A$$ for the long term. i have used P2 computers from hp, IBM, E-Machines and many others. but ive attempted to use computers of a higher grade from Dell and the HardDisk and/or Bios are currupt. well thats what i have to say about Dell. the other thing i have against Dell is that they use Intel chips :hmm:

Like I said about two and a half years. I have yet to have a hardware failure on any of them except for one computer that had a hardrive failure prior to my arrival. And oddly it was a Maxtor. Seems to be the general consensus that there was a bad lot of Maxtor drives.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The drives that failed on me were Maxtors, they replaced them with Western Digitals :D
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is why I never use Maxtors. I had a few WD's fail on me. A few seagates. But never near as many as I have had maxtors that failed.
  • Korashime
  • Korashime
  • Loc: Portland/Salem OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

I run a completley Dell shop, both at my civillian job and in my Navy reserve unit. Failure rate is around 1% for the civillian shop, and 15% for the military unit.

But the military purchased a legion of really cheap systems. I think thats where the failures are comming from.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Korashime wrote:
I run a completley Dell shop, both at my civillian job and in my Navy reserve unit. Failure rate is around 1% for the civillian shop, and 15% for the military unit.

But the military purchased a legion of really cheap systems. I think thats where the failures are comming from.

I bet you are on the NMCI network aren't you?

I was in the same vote.
  • Korashime
  • Korashime
  • Loc: Portland/Salem OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
I bet you are on the NMCI network aren't you?
I was in the same vote.

Yeah, NMCI. I still get shudders just thinking about it.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

NMCI is about the biggest waste of money the Navy Marine Corps team has ever spent.
  • Minnzie
  • Minnzie
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have 3 dell laptops in the house and love them all! Never had a problem yet! Its the Hp Pavillon that gives me all the problems. Even the 2 other computers I built work better than the Hp.
  • Sovelist
  • Sovelist

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well they cost less because they are only putting the minimum components to make the computer run. Usually there is no AGP slots..its all onboard memory..If your power supply goes you have to use "their" model.. which costs more..

Even though it costs less, its a waste of money and its going to cost you more money in the long run. To be honest..anyone who owns a dell should really smarten up and think about what they are buying before they get a Dell. Custom all the way ;)
  • Sovelist
  • Sovelist

Post 3+ Months Ago

correction to the previous post.."onboard memory" is suppose to be onboard video.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say that Dell's are as good as most other computers for what they are used for (assuming a hardcore gamer isn't going to buy a dell). I think an important factor to consider when thinking of Dell is their warranty policies.

Their warranties where they replace practically every piece of hardware on your machine provided its still under warranty is pretty nice in my opinion.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just upgraded my Precision 380 from a P4 630 to a P4 D 830. That with my two 10k rpm raptors in raid 0 and 4Gb of memory makes this thing a beast!

She also has a warranty until 2008. Next day on-site service. I have another 380 that I was doing the upgrade with also for a co-worker and his has a finicky psu. Called dell up and within 10 minutes I had a tech scheduled for tomorrow at 10am.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 34 posts