dells

• psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive heard or read someplace that dell computers are locked? meaning they dont allow the users to upgrade hardware or overclock anythings? is that true. if it is true is it with all there pc's and laptops or just the really really cheap ones?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

All Dell's have locked BIOSes which means you can't overclock. Also, Dell's use propretiary motherboards and other components that make it very difficult to upgrade not using Dell parts. If you want a computer that is overlcockable and easily upgradable, Dell is definitely not the right choice.
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

is it so even with the xps laptop?? the very nice 1? and do u know why this is
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, it is true for all Dells.

Also, it should be noted that almost all laptops are very difficult to upgrade because they contain propretiary parts. The laptop industry doesn't have a real standard so what fits in one may not fit in another.

Dells lock their BIOSes to prevent the many customer service headaches that would happen from newbies messing around with settings that they shouldn't. As for why they use propretiary parts, it's most likely to force users to upgrade with only Dell parts or buy a completely new Dell computer.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yet another reason for me to hate Dell >:|
  • brasky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Moncton, NB

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not a big fan of Dell's either. I can understand their stance though. Locking the BIOS is a good idea and using proprietary parts makes alot of sense from a business stand point. As long as they are marketing to the proper demographic then what they are doing is right. They are not aiming for the home tech savvy computer user, they are gunning for the people who don't know much at all about computers or don't want to. I wouldn't consider buying a Dell, they do not give enough control to the consumer. If I can't tear it apart and fix it myself with generic parts or the company purposefully makes it hard for me to do so, then it is not a PC for me.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually, sometimes when they run out of their "proprietary" mobos, they use ibm!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts