I/O device error

• EikichiOnizuka
  • EikichiOnizuka

Post 3+ Months Ago

erm im having problems with a 20GB usb harddrive....i cant transfer data (cut or copy) data off the hard drive to any computer unless its a really small file (few Kbs big- sometimes even these wont budge) ---anything over 1Mb comes up with an error message saying:

the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

how can i fix this...please help somebody........its the same on all OS's (98 2000 xp).........
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only issue with USB you will have is the speed. The USB 2.0 drives are downward compatible with USB 1.1, so they will definitely work.
Meaning if the H/D is 1.1 and your operating system is 2.0 it will work
just will be real slow,but I don't think thats your problem .

Did it always work ? And I gather this is an external H/D correct.

What Make is the H/D ? = we need more info !What make is the PC

There is a ton of things that you can check,
Boot the computer and go to the BIOS.
Make certain that you have enabled the USB. Save and Exit.

Have you tried all the USB Ports in the back,of the PC.

You need to confirm if you have installed the appropriate and most update USB firmware driver for your motherboard.
Go to inspect the Control Panel, system, device manager.

You may try to remove the current driver in safe mode.
Restart and reinstall the USB firmware driver.

For 98/98se: your gioing into the device manager to check for any Large
yellow question marks

RIGHT click on the MY COMPUTER icon on the DESKTOP, select PROPERTIES from the pop-up down menu, then select the DEVICE MANAGER tab, OR...
Open CONTROL PANEL, double click on the SYSTEM icon, and select the DEVICE MANAGER tab

Windows 2000/XP

You can open Device Manager by double-clicking on the System icon in Control Panel, choosing the Hardware tab, and clicking Device Manager.

Then when you get there you want to go to the top and hit the View Tab
and then (show hidden devices) just record anything that has yellow over it specially (ports COM & LPT)

The main thing we can do is show you how(we need type and Modle)
of how to get updated drivers for USB mass storage support for your
Hardware.
  • EikichiOnizuka
  • EikichiOnizuka

Post 3+ Months Ago

The external USB hard drive is a: HITACHI_DK23BA-20 USB Device

I'm on Windows NT at work by the way!

General:

Device type: Universal Serial Bus controllors
Manufacturer: Microsoft
Loctaion: Location 0 (USB TO IDE)

USB Mass Storage Device

Driver Providor: MIcrosoft
Driver Date: 14/11/1999
Driver Version: 5.0.2183.1

Driver file details

C:\WINNT\System32\DRIVERS\USBSTOR.SYS

Device is working properly.

The PC is an IBM Net Vista, Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 260.080KB RAM
It has 4 USB ports: 2 at the front (theres a sticker saying on top of these 2 saying: TYPE 8305-TNG S/N K80TCWB) of the PC and 2 at the back (with nothing written there)....

In the device manager under the USB heading: it says there is a USB 2.0 port, but i cant tell visually which one it is and dont know how to find out on the pc, i think the rest are UBB 1.1...

ALl of the USB ports are enabled, and the 20Gb HD worked for the first few months, but now im close to filling it up (it has about 6Gb free) I can't delete anything off it...

However, In the device manager Under Ports (COM & LPT)
Communications Port (COM1)
Communications Port (COM1)
Communications Port (COM1)<----this one has an yellow exclamation mark on it
ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

under device status it says the device cannot start....
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's acouple of things we can do !
first this is were your newest USB drivers are .
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... IGR-4Y6LGU

Definition of yellow exclamation !
Yellow exclamation marks in the Device Manager? - When the Device Manager displays a yellow exclamation mark over a device, it means the device is conflicting with another device.

A red "X" in the Device Manager? - When the Device Manager displays a red "X" over a device, this means that the device had been disabled in the current hardware profile.

So what thats telling me is there is a possible IRQ conflict.

IRQ's Reserved by the system cannot be used.
Some devices can share an IRQ, but only when not used simultaneously

(this is just an example )
Conflicts occur when more than one device tries to access the IRQ controller at the same time, using the same IRQ number. The most common symptom of this would be your system locking up completely, so that even a CTRL-ALT-DEL does not reset it. For example, let's suppose you have two printers in your computer, LPT1 on IRQ 7 (Standard setting) and the second one assigned to LPT2 and IRQ 5. Also, your brother-in-law installed a new SoundBlaster card into IRQ 5. Everything works great for a while. Using MS Word, you print off a letter to said brother-in-law to the second printer (LPT2-IRQ5), and in a later session, you make a great song and melody using Band-in-a-Box. Now comes the clincher. What would happen if you were playing a Band-in-a-Box song and then tried to print out the leadsheet using LPT2? GOTCHA! Since both are assigned to the same IRQ, the machine locks up completely.

Ever go into the bios ?

Enter the BIOS setup program.
Locate the serial configuration section.
Change your serial port configuration for COM1 to Enabled
Not all serial ports are configurable through the BIOS. If the COM port configuration is not available through the BIOS
lets see if it was disabled.

Your going back into Device Manager ,were you just were
You can generate a list of all the used IRQ's in your system by selecting Computer and then properties from the Device Manager tab. You will then be shown listings by IRQ, I/O, DMA, or memory use for each of the devices in your system.

What you are looking for is what is sharing the same IRQ,and write it down.

Lets do the math: There are 16 IRQ's (0-15), 5 are reserved for sure (0,1,6,8,13), Two IRQ's are actually just 1 (IRQ's 2 & 9), and for the basics (1 Hard disc, 1 Video Card, 1 pointing Device) You've just used up 3 more. Add a printer to that mix takes up one more.

ALL IRQS 16
5 Reserved -5
IRQ 2&9 -1
Video, Mouse, HD -3
Printer -1
------
Total Used 10

What kind of mouse are you using ?
  • EikichiOnizuka
  • EikichiOnizuka

Post 3+ Months Ago

a wheel mouse with two buttons from microsoft..very basic
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

So the usb drive doesn't work on any pc - have you tried an xp machine?

NT isn't technically designed to support usb.

Do any other usb devices work on those same computers?
  • EikichiOnizuka
  • EikichiOnizuka

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeh I've tried it on all OS's except apples and oranges....jokes i meant win 95.......

erm i tried using a different harddrive ......same spec....different bits inside...and they work fine on all of the machines......

this one is just all slow and slows down the whole computer too.... it even becomes busy when i empty the recycle bin on my desktop....i mean wots that all about????? it neva did that before...........
  • EikichiOnizuka
  • EikichiOnizuka

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the hard drive is all corrupt..............

thanx for all the help guys are giving....u guys are great.....

i'll keep watching this topic incase u do have a solution.....

i'm so fed up!
  • getheledout
  • getheledout

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a 128MB USB lexar JumpDrive Secure. Just recently, when I plugged it in and tried to transfer data off of it or on to it, it gave me an I/O device error.

Now I cant even get that far. It constantly tries to read from the drive and my USB mouse and PS/2 keyboard stop working. Also the lights on my keyboard flash???

I am using windows XP and it has always worked in the past.

Any suggestions would be helpful
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

For ,,EikichiOnizuka

Just FDISK it ,and Reformat ,,be like bran new.lol
http://www.23cc.com/free-fdisk/
http://fdisk.radified.com/ bookmark that one.
  • alfredo
  • Born
  • Born
  • alfredo

Post 3+ Months Ago

for getheledout,

I've got the same problem, since yesterday i can't access to my data sored in the 128MB USB flash memory (no name on it). i got an I/O device error

Is anybody knows how to do to get my data back and to reuse the memory.

is my data lost forever? is my USB good only to fill in the bin ?

thanks for your help guys
  • getheledout
  • getheledout

Post 3+ Months Ago

for alfredo, and any others

Well here is the deal, it is only on my computer at home that it doesn't work. Any other computer with any operating system it still works. So I completely wiped out my harddrive hoping that it was a driver error. Unfortunately it fixed nothing and does the same thing. When it used to work, in My Computer it would show up as Lexar JumpDrive, now it shows up as removable disk F. I dont know what is going on. I am beginning to think it is my usb ports. What is weird though is that my printer and wireless mouse work fine. I think it must be a hardware issue. Possibly something with the power because of the way the lights flash and everthing stops working. I am probably going to buy a pci usb card. Alfredo let me know what you use for usb ports and if anything else works on them. Also if you have tried it on any other computers.

Thanks
  • alfredo
  • Born
  • Born
  • alfredo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi getheledout,

thanks for reply I appreciate :wink:

I tried to connect the flash USB on others computers and using differents OS (windows 2000, windows XP, NT...) but I have always the same I/O error. when I use a MMC card connected through the same USB port , it works perfectly. Hence , I think that the problem comes specially from the flash USB. but when I connected it there is a light on the flash which starts to scintillate as if it would work . :?:

I asked someone who seems to know a little bit about that , he said that I have to buy a new one cos this one is corrupted. but I still keep a hope on getting my data back since I didn't do a back up for a while and there is precious information inside.

S.O.S S.O.S help help help
  • getheledout
  • getheledout

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Alfredo,

I have one more question for you, you might have answered it earlier but i'm not quite sure. Can you get into the drive and see your data, but not transfer it? Or can you not get into the drive at all?

It might be helpful, i dont know.

Thanks
  • alfredo
  • Born
  • Born
  • alfredo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hiya,
I can't get into the drive at all. the thing is hte computer recognize the USB flash by printing "removable disk (E)" on " my computer". but when I double click on it ,it says "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" so I can't have access to the folders or anything else. is it definitely impossible to get my data back even if i have to sacrify the USB memory?

Ta. Ta.
  • getheledout
  • getheledout

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yo,

One suggestion I have is to go to http://www.handyrecovery.com , and scroll down to the bottom of the page and download the freeware version of Handy Recovery. Install it and try it. See what happens.

Let me know what happens
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why you guys mess with them drives .
they said today they are the biggest carriers
of virus those little drives ..what the heck can
they carry anyway ? 128mb .
  • ethiopia
  • Born
  • Born
  • ethiopia
  • Loc: addis ababa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got a problem on opening my mp3 player. It says the request coul not be performed due to the I/O device error. I need your help hoe to solve this problem and operate my mp3.
Thank you inadvance for your assistace looking for the replies

ermi
  • Nana
  • Born
  • Born
  • Nana

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello i'm Nana

after formatting my computer , i wanted to upload all my files from my external hardrive .
the problem was i got the txt files all my pics ,SOME of my audio files .

everytime i try to upload the rest of the audio files i get this message
"i/o device error"
if anyone have any solutions i'll be glad to try
thanx
N.
  • dzy !
  • Born
  • Born
  • dzy !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello !

I've been struggling for a long time with this " I/O device error " and finally it seem like i have fixed the problem. I'm no cp-expert but i wanted to share this with you if it might help.

I have a Western Digital 250GB USB wich i have been struggling with for a long time, i tryed almost everything to fix this error but nothing worked, and when i tryed to formatt it there always came " Formatt failed " msg - so to me there was nothing to do but throw away the the disk and buy me a new one. Without really knowing what i was doing, too me it was ruined anyway, I decided to change the disk from cs to slave and deleted the partition and created a new partition, quick formatted the disk and ........ it work's just fine now?
Tryed to formatt with the regular way but that did not work - only quick formatt. This was for 3 week's ago and it's still ok, but if the disk failes again i will let you know.
Dont know if this will help those of you struggling with this error, but it helped me and im very happy :) Hope this can be useful to anyone else.

dzy !
  • chuandabee
  • Born
  • Born
  • chuandabee

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm having a problem with my 1gb sandisk usb drive on all pc..

while i can access the files inside the drive, i can't cut or copy or save any file onto the drive.. whenever i tried to do so, i get the msg

"cannot copy file due to i/o device error"

i've tried the device manager method and it doesn't work..

anyone has suggestions?

thanks..
  • .sara.
  • Born
  • Born
  • .sara.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this topic is old but im still hoping to get a reply. About everyone whoz getting an I/O Device Error, I was getting the same thing so I e-mailed the manufacturer of my Mp3 player and they told me the answer is simple. You simply have to reformat the player. All you have to do for that is go to my computer --> right click, select format --> and format under the FAT system.

Ideally, that should have solved my problem makes enough sense but my problem got bigger because when i right click the stupid menu doesn't come up. It takes forever as if its doing something but then goes back to normal and the menu never comes up. Once or twice by fluke the menu came up but then when i clicked format again nothing. If anyone can help, i'd really appreciate any advice. I was also looking for like an automatic formatter or something where i could tell it which disk drive and it would just format it maybe that might help.
  • maxxblade_2_79821
  • Born
  • Born
  • maxxblade_2_79821
  • Loc: EL PASO TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm Having a device error on my dvd player. A friend of mine told me that i have to flash my bios. is their a nother way to fix this? if so can someone tell me
  • camra88
  • Born
  • Born
  • camra88
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having this same problem with my 2 MP3 players and cell phone. The I/O error from the USB 2.0 file transfer seems to pick and choose some files (for no apparent reason). It's either an MP3 or AMV file from what i have experienced, but i assume that is not the only files that would give me these errors.

The files are in perfect working order--both my PC's read them fine, and i've used them on my old MP3 player before. Now these randomly-picked (and once they're "picked" the computer "remembers" those certain files, so they will never ever transfer, except sometimes)

I've ruled out the having to format my mp3 player in order to fix this, because it only does it 80% of the time, which means that 20% of the time, the files transfer with no problem whatsoever

It does it on my cell phone which has never had transfer problems in the past, my new MP3 player, and my old MP3 player which has all these files on it from before.

I can, however, transfer every single file with 100% success if i plug my mp3 players into my laptop that is networked to my PC (which has alll those files), and transfer them to my player via the network. So I have to assume its a problem with my desktop.

I've gone through the device manager, and uninstalled the "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller", which thereafter windows has to reinstall all the usb drivers. This has fixed this problem only one time, and has proven unsuccessful every other time i've tried it. Rebooting does not solve the problem.

I am at a total, and complete loss of what to do. I transfered all these files onto my old MP3 player on my old AMD Athlon XP system, and I have since upgraded to the AMD Athlon 64 bit system. I am almost thinking there is something wrong with the mainboard?

please help! How do I fix this problem? (and yes, i have searched all over the net, and this is the closest thing to help I have found)
Thanks!
  • temur
  • Born
  • Born
  • temur

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got I/O Device Error when my USB flash was full. It seems that USB driver did not work properly and partition table was damaged. So, I used Restorer2000 Professional (http://www.restorer2000.com) to resque my files. Other software (recommended on this forum) did not work. Then I just FORMAT the USB flash drive from WINDOWS and now it is operational again.
Best, Teimuraz Kancheli
  • lyndaschat
  • lyndaschat
  • Loc: United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

My Iomega hard drive can't be found, USB (it used to be). I have uninstalled all USB, pulled all USB wires, etc.. This is all after my computer got messed up from Norton 2007 system utilites and the new IE 7. Well I am wondering now..
After receiving an error messages that says
"Windows explorer is not accessible the request could not be performed
because of I/O device error", this can be caused with a loose cable of the
system. Plus windows xp is always telling me that I need to update bios, or graphics drivers, yet gateway tells me no.. if it makes sense that I should look under the hood and make sure that the memory cards and graphics cards are seated properly? I just hate going through the trouble of taking the pc all apart if it doesn't make sense. I have also already checked bios, usb is all enabled... Open to anyones thoughts.. I mean... why the memory boards and graphics card? when it is an external hard drive that can't be found..

Thanks, Linda
  • charlesbeyourself
  • Born
  • Born
  • charlesbeyourself
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a problem with my usb mp3 player. when i try to access it i get the error "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". I am not able to perform any action on it ( including format or scandisk). Can anyone please guide me?
  • lyndaschat
  • lyndaschat
  • Loc: United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a "little bit" further along.. I found that when I bought a new case/cradle and took the hard drive out of the iomega cradle, and bought, hooked it up to a Mad Dog cradle, that it helps a lot as far as finding the disk drive. So I am guessing that Mad Dog is a better device. I still can't access the hard drive though and it tells me that there is no file system. I've been told to download Hirens boot CD 8.3 for free on the net, but I'm so afraid to do so. .. don't want any conflictions happening. Has anyone here ever used it? And can you give me more detail advice as what to do with it if I get it?
Thanks, Linda
(I will NEVER buy another Iomega product again)
  • imnoemocake
  • Born
  • Born
  • imnoemocake

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i have read this forum and i have not gotten my answer yet lol

i have a 4 gig sd card that has no information on it. it wont work on any of my devices wether its a cellphone or a computer. it doesnt work with windows xp any edition or vista it freezes my system when i try to access it. it wont let me format it. and when i use the windows xp install cd to boot from the only thing it says next to the drive is "unable to access drive information" if any one could tell me wat to do that would be great
  • mrlayl
  • Born
  • Born
  • mrlayl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot for your suggestion for HandyRecovery. My USB Hard drive all of a sudden stopped showing the files in "Documents and Settings" folder giving the I/O error message. Tried all kinds of recovery software, only one besides HandyRecovery showed the files in the directory tree, but the trial version which promised to recover a file under 500 K did not recover a "usable" Excel file. HandyRecovery copied the same file from the external USB drive to a folder on my C drive and Excel opened it with its macros and data intact.

Only problem I have is that I bought and paid online for the registration number to be emailed within 15 minutes, and I haven't gotten it yet an hour later. But I guess if it performs the same on all my files like it did on the sample one, its worth the wait.

Thanks again

getheledout wrote:
Yo,

One suggestion I have is to go to http://www.handyrecovery.com , and scroll down to the bottom of the page and download the freeware version of Handy Recovery. Install it and try it. See what happens.

Let me know what happens

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 37 posts