I/O device error with DVD/CD writable drive

• GeneralB
  • Born
  • Born
  • GeneralB

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Matsh... DVD-RAM UJ-820S (type: DVD/CD-ROM drives) inside a Toshiba Satellite P25 series laptop. It just stopped working two days ago when I bumped the door. Under properties, it says "Location: Location 0 (0)" and "Device Status: This device is working properly."

I have gone to recommended links, downloaded from Microsoft, pulled drive out, uninstalled it, reinstalled it, put it back in ... even tried to open it thinking what do I have to lose if I have to go buy a new one anyway. It still doesn't work.

Error message I get: "D:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

I've called Toshiba (I'm out of warranty) and they did not know what to do. They referred me to a service center who said they'd have to configure some stuff probably but it would take three weeks before they'd get to me. I'm in the middle of a project so can't be w/o laptop for 3 weeks. I tried setting up an appointment in three weeks, but they wouldn't bit.

I emailed Panasonic, but they said they are one of several OEM providers for Toshiba's internal dvd drive.

I researched Microsoft ... ect.

It seems there are configurations that need to be done to the drive itself and supposedly, per Toshiba, I can't do them ... only an authorized dealer.

I noticed that an unusal amount of people seem to have experienced my same problem. Anyone ever get a resolve on their own ... or should I just stop the research and take it to a dealer some months from now when I am able to be w/o my computer?

Thanks much for any help on this one.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• iambigjae
  • Born
  • Born
  • iambigjae

Post 3+ Months Ago

Was wondering if you have solved this issue or if you had to have a dealer do the repair work? I am having the same problem with a *plum* DVD-RAM UJ-840S in a toshiba satellite laptop.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could buy a CD/DVD External USB drive. It might cost less than paying a tech to install a new internal drive if you can't do it yourself.
  • GeneralB
  • Born
  • Born
  • GeneralB

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope ... never got it resolved. I do have external drive but am sorely missing my laptop dvd drive ... very inconvenient.

Still searching for an answer. Haven't taken the expensive plunge of taking it in for a looksie.

Let me know if you find a resolve.
  • thecrwng7
  • Born
  • Born
  • thecrwng7

Post 3+ Months Ago

I came across this forum today, after realizing my cd dvd drive went stupid on me after burning a few cd's... (Toshiba Satellite)

I was curious how much it would cost me to get this issue fixed, if anyone could give me an opinion of an estimate...

I suppose I'll have to succumb to finding an external drive, but honestly that's such a pain. Toshiba should be ashamed.

::any help appreciated:: o.O
  • ReticulatingSplines
  • Born
  • Born
  • ReticulatingSplines

Post 3+ Months Ago

This thread comes up pretty high in Google search for this issue, so I thought I'd register here and share what worked for me:

Quote:
This behavior will occur if Windows is configured to use a transfer mode that the CD drive does NOT support.

To resolve this behavior:

1. Start / Run / devmgmt.msc / OK.

2. Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

3. Double-click the channel where your CD drive is connected, typically the Secondary IDE Channel.

4. Select the Advanced Settings tab.

5. For the Device that represents your CD drive, toggle Transfer Mode to PIO Only and press OK.

Here's where I found and copy/pasted this from:

http://windowsitpro.com/article/article ... leted.html

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts