Diagnosing bottlenecks

• monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi y'all, anyone know of a program/way of reliably diagnosing performance bottlenecks on PCs ie. RAM vs Processor vs. graphics card? I know HDD is v. common but I'm after pure in-game performance.

If not, is anyone able to see a clear in-game bottleneck on my system at all?

AMD 64 3000+
Geforce 6800
512 DDR400

Adding another 512 RAM makes no difference to in-game performance for me on older games like Halo or newer like Oblivion. Something like 0.2 FPS which is probably chance...?

Thanks all
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sisoft Sandra is a nice little program for that sort of thing. You can download a trial version for free aswell then just get rid of it later.

Is you GPU a standard 6800 or a 6800 GS/GT/Ultra and what is the manufacturer ?

That would be my initial opinion of a bottleneck as your RAM and CPU deal very little in gaming with most modern games. The 3000+ is the entry AMD64 but it is also a nice overclocker so could be beefed up a little if required.
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers Tchuki, mine is a standard 6800 by Leadtek. How do you go about using Sandra for identifying bottlenecks btw? Am keen to get a stable overclock but I'm only on stock cooling and had to reinstall XP last time I tried due to corruption! One more try can't hurt tho...!
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sandra has some built in benchmarking software [ CPU benchmark, Multimedia Benchmark and Graphics Benchmark ], run those and see how your CPU fairs against other CPU's.

If your going to OC you need to find the upperlimits of your CPU, FSB & RAM [ although RAM isnt really a problem as it is easily changed ].

What I would suggest is locking your RAM and PCI-E at 200MHz and 100 respectivly [ this can be easily done in your BIOS ].

To check the max FSB your mobo can handle, you heed to set your CPU multiplier to a low setting using your computers BIOS [ say x8 ] then krank up the FSB on your mobo and see if it boots, if so, krank it up some more and repeat until your comp will not boot. Try increments of 20 at a time, to find its limit, once it doesnt boot, drop the FSB by 10 until it will boot, then increment again by 1 until it will no longer boot. That is your mobo's max FSB.

To find your CPU's max clock speed, you need to do the opposite, put the CPU multiplier as high as it will go, start the FSB off at a low setting and keep increasing until it will no longer boot. Take note of the mulit and FSB and that gives your your CPU's max clock speed [ for this example anyway ].

Just make sure that you lock your RAM and PCI-E otherwise you will get problems.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts