Did i fry my motherboard or hard drive ?

• Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys.. im in a bad situation right now... i have Lights in my case and so i was going to turn them off but it like short circuited and shut off

so i turned it back on and everthing worked but i tried to turn it off again.. and it shut off

then it wouldnt turn on so i tried everything untill the thing on the back of the power supply i moved a little red piece and it turned on but nothing was on the screen... so i was thinking my videocard fried but then i plugged my monitor into the built into the motherboard but still nothing... it turns on and everything so its not the power supply...

so i am thinking its the mobo.... can someone verify
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

The red piece is where you adjust the right voltage...souldn´t change it.
You where turning the lights off with the computer on? (if you where you shoudn´t have done that to)
Put the correct voltage again,turn your computer on and watch out for the starting noise (the hard drives starting)...if you can´t hear that sound it´s because you cpu isn´t running!Do you know if your mobo has an on light?See also if the cpu cooler is running.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah okay... i changed the volatage back and then i turned on.... i heard the hard drive whirr and i heard a little more noise... than when it wasent working.... the screen is still black ...

i tried only using one ram stick in the first slot... still the same
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok...cpu is running and hd also starting,but both graphic cards down (not good).
Hear any beep? (if yes must count them,usually is a sequence like 1 long,two shorts - changes from mobo to mobo)

If there´s no beep then maybe you short circuited something.
The only thing you can try is remove all components and put them back (try also crearing cmos and take the battery for about 10 sec.) - see also if you cann see any burned chip in the mobo (shoul be in the mobo since both graphic cards are out)
If still not works...bad luck,maybe next time you´ll be more carefull.Some errors are more painfull than others...
But sometimes there´s a solution...when i once broke one pin from the cpu everybody told me it was gone and it´s working fine (with some improvisation) ;)
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge

Post 3+ Months Ago

no beeps at all
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

See the edited :)
All this supposing the cpu cooler is working, try also to see if the graphic card cooler is also working!
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow.... thank you soo much ... !! :D it all works now

I took out the battery and then i reset cmos and i took out everyting and then put it all back in

Thanks for all the help
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice!Glad to hear. ;)
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge

Post 3+ Months Ago

eh one last problem... my sound card..... it says its not there so i go to sound properties and enable it and as soon as i plug something into it like my speakers/headphones it gives me the BSOD..... [ Blue screen of death ] and when i plug it in when the pc is off the computer cant detect the card at all....
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uninstall the drivers first...then see if it´s recognized as new hardware...
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge

Post 3+ Months Ago

man u are just on fire right now!! thx again
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago