disabling built in video card

• david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: princeton, nj

Post 3+ Months Ago

HI guys, I am having problems with a pc that acts crazy either in normal mode and safe mode, so i figure it's a "hardware problem", the fans for the cpu and power supply work and the cpu's temperature is 50 degrees centigrades, which is fine, so i'm left with the hard drive, motherboard and video card. i've decided to test the video card first, so I am going to plug in a pci video card but i don't know how to disable the already built in video card....
any help and hints will be greatly appreciated...
david :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depends on the PC. Sometimes it's a jumper on the motherboard, sometimes it's a setting in the BIOS.
  • david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, the motherboard says "CE sv266m" and right by the video port there is a 3 pin jumper with 2 pins covered together, and if it's not it then i guess it's in the BIOS....i
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try the BIOS first. Don't change any jumpers unless you read the motherboard manual first.
  • david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

i went into the bios and in "power management setup" i found two options,
video off option [suspend>off] or i can change it to "always on".
video off method [DPMS support] or i can change to "blank screen".

these are the closest options that i found to disable the video card, it would help if i had the manual but i don't, ..
i'll try to go into that motherboard site and see if there is anything about it..
thanks
david.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you don't have the manual, go to the motherboard manufacturer's website. They usually have manuals for download in PDF format.
  • david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I decided to just plug it in..since i didn't find no jumpers and the website doesn't inform on how to disable the built in video. the new vga video card worked but the pc is still getting stuck on POST, some other times it goes a little further (up to "welcome to windows me"), so i think it's either RAM or motherboard, i will have to replace the RAM and if it's not it, then just trow it away, since i't s not worth to go through all the hassle of replacing a motherboard...thank you guys all..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts