Disk Crash? Error in FAT entry cluster.....

• reg2002ina
  • Born
  • Born
  • reg2002ina

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am running a dual boot machine. WIN98 and WINXP are installed on physically different hard disks. While in XP, I suddenly got thrown out and the reboot process ended in a black screen message that ntoskrnl.exe was missing, accompanied by untypical sounds. Attempts to recover that file were unsuccessful as although the directory tree of the XP drive was visible in Explorer, no read or write on it was possible. Scandisk complained that there is ''Error in FAT entry cluster.....'' and that it cannot repair this type of trouble. In the Recovery Console the drive cannot be read and the message appears: ''an error occurred during directory enumeration''. Chkdsk -r reports that one or more unrecoverable errors are on this drive. 98 runs normal, although when dealing with the Recycle bin mechanical sounds and multiple read attempts can be heard.

Is it time for a new hard disk? Or am I missing some other option?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mechanical sounds from the hard disk usually means a head crash or other fatal problem. :-(
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

My research has lead me to you needing to re-install your XP partition which shouldn't be that big of a deal since they are on completely different hard drives.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts