Diskette drive

• Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a computer that I want to use the FDISK on, but everytime I reboot it, or turn it on, gives me the following messege "Diskette drive 0 seek failure"
Also when I try to have access to drive A: through command promp it will display :
"The divice is not ready"
does this mean that the floppy disk is gone bad? that I need to replace it?

I already went to Bios and every drive is turn into auto.

thank you for your help
The computer is a Win XP Pro OS
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is the IDE cable connected the correct way round ?
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

The floppy may be bad or the floppy cable may not be plugged in correctly, when you turn it on does the floppy drive light just stay on? if so then the cable is in wrong, if not then I would have to say try another floppy drive.

DISK DRIVE 0 SEEK FAILURE
Drive 0 and 1 refer to your a: and b: drive. Most often, if you get this error it is because your BIOS is looking for a drive that is not there. Check your setup and be sure that only the floppy drives located on your machine are activated.

WC
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same problem with my laptop. So I just took the HDD out. It is a very annoying problem. I think it may be the drive.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Is the IDE cable connected the correct way round ?

Well I did check the computer inside, and the cable seems to be plug in corretly, I dont think the cable will be able to fit the other way around( unless is not fool proof), or Am I wrong?

Quote:
DISK DRIVE 0 SEEK FAILURE
Drive 0 and 1 refer to your a: and b: drive. Most often, if you get this error it is because your BIOS is looking for a drive that is not there. Check your setup and be sure that only the floppy drives located on your machine are activated.

As for the Bios, In Primary, drive 0 and 1 are set to Auto, next to auto they have the hard drve name, and in Secondary they are both set in CD-ROM, I try to swish to Floppy, but it will only display a series of numbers. About the floppy light being turn on.. well it doesnt ... the light does not turns on.

I dont know if this is of any help, but wen ever I try to access any floppy disk, ( through "My Computer") it will tell me that the diskete needs to be formated.

thank you for you all responses, I hope this info I put here helps you more to find what this problem may be.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I dont know if this is of any help, but wen ever I try to access any floppy disk, ( through "My Computer") it will tell me that the diskete needs to be formated.

Windows comes up with this message when it can detect a disk is in your drive but it cannot read it (it does the same think if you put a CD in your CDROMN drive upsidedown), unfortunately this isn't much help in find out what your problem is, it could still be either the hardware or the disc.
  • RoadRash333
  • RoadRash333

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure if this is offbase or not...been awhile since I messed with a floppy, but doesn't the cable also matter if you have the connector before the twist or after the twist. One is for determining "a" or "b" right? If there is only 1 floppy drive and the "b" connector is hooked up wouldn't that make it trip out also?
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Usually when that happens with a floppy I swap them out, and problem fixed.

WC
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Not sure if this is offbase or not...been awhile since I messed with a floppy, but doesn't the cable also matter if you have the connector before the twist or after the twist. One is for determining "a" or "b" right? If there is only 1 floppy drive and the "b" connector is hooked up wouldn't that make it trip out also?

I will check that, I forgot to mention that he has to drive, #1 Floppy drive, #2 zip drive. they may have benn plug incorretly
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, I found out what the problem was, due to the fact that there where to many IDE cables, I did not notice that the floppy drive was unplug...dough!!.. no wonder I would get that error. Anyways thank you guys for your help. and for trying

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts