MS XP does not recognize DVD-RW

• Gator6
  • Born
  • Born
  • Gator6

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am have a Dell Inspirion 5100. When I tried to use DVD+RW disc from Fugifilm, the CD/DVD drive would not recognize disc.
Went to MS Support and found letter #818733, Windows XP Does Not Recognize a DVD-RW Disc, which states; “This issue occurs because the Universal Disc Format driver, Udfs.sys, tries to read the DVD-RW disc by using a packet length of 32 blocks instead of by using a packet length of 16 blocks. CD-RW uses a packet length of 32 blocks, but DVD-RW uses a packet length of 16 blocks.”
If someone knows a fix or a patch, please let me know.
Thanks for the help !!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just for clarity are you having problems with a DVD-RW or a DVD+RW? You use them seemingly interchangeably in your post.

Also maybe this should be moved to the hardware forum, because the problem isn't with Windows XP, it's with the actual drive itself.

Honestly I don't think that you are going to be able to get it to read the disc, hardware abilities aren't usually easy to change.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

[moved to hardware]
  • Gator6
  • Born
  • Born
  • Gator6

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't believe it's a harware problem, but I'll go with the flow and I'll try again:

I have XP Windows with the standard single CD/DVD drive that comes with Dell laptops. It will not recognize either DVD-RW or DVD+RW disc when a blank media is inserted, although CD data discs work fine (reading and writing) and I can play prerecorded DVD movies. I have tried different DVD manufacturer brands, I have joined other forums to find the answer. Even Microsoft admits to the problem in letter 818733, but offers no solution. The situation occurs before any program for burning is used. I insert a new disc and the drive looks empty. I try to format the new disc and XP asks for media to be inserted.

Thanks again for your help !!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just asking the obvious - have you called Dell? I have found their support to be very good in the past.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I agree, Dell's tech support is top notch.
  • LEAHGEM
  • Born
  • Born
  • LEAHGEM

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have had the exact problem described by gator6 and have been unable to find a solution. did anyone figure out what to do?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts