Dolby 5.1

• theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've just purchased a cheap Dolby 5.1 setup for my PC and now I want to test it to see if it is working correctly (i.e. the correct sound are coming out of the correct speakers). Does anyone know of an online utility I can use to do this?

The only stuff I currently have that is in 5.1 are audio CD's and it's hard to tell what's supposed to be coming from where with most of them.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, most 5.1 cards that I'm aware of come with a utility for just that. Usually some kind of pictorial representation of the 6 speakers, and when you click on it, it will either say what channel it is (like "front right") or it will play a tone through the selected speaker.

If yours didn't come with something like that, try playing the Matrix DVD on your computer. The combat scenes have really good sound separation and you can usually tell if your speakers are set up correctly just by using visual cues. For instance, if a ship flies across the screen from left to right, but the sound goes from right to left, then you have the left and right channels swapped.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

My sound card only came with Windows drivers and I'm running Linux so I can't use any of the utilities that came with it, as for DVD's I don't have any; I'll have so see if I can borrow some and see how they go.
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

some DVD's have the THX sound set up guide..one i can think of is Toy Story 2..1 might also..but find one with the THX set up optimizer and use that to see...

but if u cant even load the drivers then u are GOING to have problems...let alone if u got a cheep one......in the computer world,u get what u pay for.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts